Thread: Add a invertor
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2006, 11:43 AM   #16
BobW

Job done

Just for those who are interested in adding an inverter, I'll describe what I had to do. Our rig didn't come with an inverter, it was not even an option. So, I bought a Xantrax 2000 watt Freedom from a guy on Ebay for about $650 plus $30 shipping. I bought it as a Buy it Now item. It arrived the very next day! Believe that? So I made a box to hold it and placed it under the roof of the basement. All I wanted to use the inverter for was the entertainment center. I found the circuit breaker that goes to that. Everything was on one breaker. I disconnected the Converter from it's breaker and put a cap on it. We wont be needing this. Bought a sub box with two breakers in it. Ran a 10 gage 3 wire from the house breaker box to the inverter. From the inverter i ran a 12 gage wire to the sub box. From the sub box, a 12 gage to the wire that went to the entertainment center. The inverter was hooked to the old converter breaker, but changed to 30 amps. With no 12v power to the inverter, I plugged in the RV to the shore power and all went well. I had power to all the outlets in the entrainment center. One thing, the vacuum didn't work. I found out that the vac was plugged into the converter outlet box in the basement. So I unplugged the converter and reattached it's wire to the unused breaker in the house box. So, now the 120v is routed through the Xantrax. Attached the remote to the inverter. Now I added 2 gage wires to the house batteries. Turned the charger on with the remote and it started charging. Now for the test. I went outside and unplugged the RV, turned on the inverter and everything worked great. No noise in the TV and the batteries are charging great. By the way, the Xantrax has a much better charger than what came with the RV. It uses a 3 stage charging system. Now my next job is to add two more house batteries. called Xantrax and they said I could add all the batteries I want, to some degree.
2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote