View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011, 06:17 PM   #5
47hook

IIRC my owner's manual says to spray the legs with silicone spray to clean off the landing gear legs. From my experience, when it rains sand and dirt get splashed on the landing gear and this will definitely cause problems with the seals. Rust pits would do the same. I would not recommend using any petroleum product on the landing gear (don't think it is good for the seals). You can use a rag with some automatic trans fluid on it to wipe down the legs periodically but wipe down the legs with a clean rag before retracting them. I do this with the silicone spray about 90% of the time.

I haven't had any pitting but I did have some hardened residue on one landing leg which wouldn't come off with the spray so I took an old leather dog leash and used it to buff out the residue. Didn't want any lumps going by the seals. You might want to try and do that; it is kind of like the old barber shop stropping leather used on straight razors. Just wrap the clean smooth leather around the leg and pull back and forth. You want to not get rid of the pit but get rid of the ruff edges of the pit. Course, if the seals are cut and leaking this would be too late.

Good luck; oh yea, worse comes to worse call DRV or Lippert and talk to an expert!
2013 MS 38RESB3 #6393, modified with ES stuff & Garnet Paint

"The older I get, the better I was!"
47hook is offline   Reply With Quote