Thread: HDT in Mexico ?
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007, 09:54 PM   #3
bstark

Dependant on the crossing point, they have a tendancy to interpret the rules differently. Case in point; they will run the VIN number and if that translates to a vehicle designated as "commercial" as it came out of the factory then you are risking confiscation when you pass the 21Km marker boundary as not having the proper permits to haul commercial within Mx. One individual who took his rig with "double-towing" a boat behind was OK going in all hooked up but brought his boat back to USA separately and they would not allow him to re-enter to retrieve his trailer. His only option was to rent a P/U to go in and get his RV.

My truck is a class 6 MDT and upon enquiry of Mx border folks at Algodones have been told a number of different rules apply and this alone has provided enough doubt to tell me that it's just too "iffy" the way they can interpret the rules to give them the kind of clout over me that taking these expensive toys into MX would give them, the Mexican officialdom thrives on "the petite Mordida" (the small bribe) no thanks!