Thread: Tire Wear
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Diesel Gypsy, Excellent answer, and for years the G tire has been having issues. So many of the trailers I weighed had that tire carrying anywhere form about 95% to 110% of its rated capacity sitting still on the scales. Also many folks had less than the max 110psi air in them lowering the capacity. When the G tire was released it was installed on many trailers because at that time the trailers were starting to become heavier and that tire gave the trailer manufacturers a step up for some safety. What happened? the trailer manufacturers started to make the trailers even heavier and to a point overloaded those tires. Now the H rated 4,805lb capacity tires in some cases are getting close to their rated capacity with the loaded trailers they are under. Weighing each tire and axle is so important to understand how you are loaded and what you can do to protect those tires from working so hard. When your working any piece of machinery at close to 100% of its ability, you end up with failures of some type much sooner than if it was running at say 75 or 80%. The G tire is just over worked and will quit at a much sooner rate than the H should given the same set of conditions(weights being carried). The kitchen side in most is heavier, my trailer 1,100lbs heavier when we fulltimed and I peeled the treads off of both the left side G tires within 100 miles of each other doing damage both times. I then moved up to the H tires. And believe me when i say I own the most weighed trailer out there, and neither of those tires were over the 3,750lb limit, close, but not over and never run with less than 110psi, ever. But they were worked to death in less than 3 years.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote