View Single Post
Old 02-02-2021, 09:21 PM   #17
TaoJones

I second the mention of Starlink, but it's in beta currently and only available (by invitation) in the northern tier of states and Canada. The good news is that they intend to have global coverage by the end of this year!

The bad news is that it isn't currently mobile, meaning you can't put one on your RV in, say, Alberta and drive it to Texas happily getting internet access constantly as you travel. For now, they're only letting users employ Starlink at a fixed address.

More good news is that this solution springs from the mind of Elon Musk, and I'm continually amazed at how successfully he cooks up an idea and makes it happen. His team call the current beta version Better Than Nothing, and boy is it ever! Download speeds are better than you'd ever think possible, and upload speeds are equally impressive. Downtime is almost negligible.

Yes, the Starlink equipment costs $499, and service is $99/month, currently. It will be interesting to see how wider adoption of the technology will effect both the connection speeds as well as the price.

The rumor is that they will find a way to make it compatible with people on the move (cars, RVs, buses, trains, boats, etc.) very soon. I believe that's more a billing and payment issue than a technological one.

If you can afford the cost and can wait just awhile longer, Starlink should be able to satisfy anyone who absolutely must have internet access no matter where they are on the planet.

That, to me, is the Holy Grail.

TJ