View Single Post
Old 01-22-2006, 12:26 PM   #1
Dsravenoaks

Newbie needs advice from experts on TV-Internet Sat systems

Hi, I follow this forum often and need some advice about which way to go with satellite TV and Internet access. We have a 36 ft 5 th wheel with a bat wing tv antenna now. I have been looking at TV dishes, both roof mounts and tripod setups. I have explored both the DISH and DIRECT TV system a bit. I have also look at DIRECaccess for satellite internet access. I use the internet alot and as we are soon to go full time, I am interested in purchasing the RIGHT system the first time. I obviously am not interested in on the fly access as with a motor home. Could someone give me their humble opinion or answers about some of these questions:

1.Which system is best, DISH OR DIRECT TV?

2.Do either offer internet access?

3.Can I run my old Winegard and a roof mount sat dish on the same wire to the reciever or do you have to run a seperate wire?

4. If you do have to run a seperate wire, how do you run it to a slide section where the reciever is?

5. Is there any advantages to a tripod dish mount over a roof mount to offset the room taken up for storage?

6. Is there a system where I could get TV and Internet access thru sat on the same dish? If there is, are these roof mounts or tripod types?

7. Is there a big difference between adjusting a TV dish and an internet access dish to the sat?

8. Should I spring for a double system TV and Internet now if it is available or is it too early to try to embrace both in one system?

9. How hard is it to put in a roof mount? I am somewhat handy? I have built a 3 car garage and rewired my own house?

10. If you wanted to "low ball" it price wise for TV sat only, Internet Access only, or a combo system, at is the best way to go?

11. What books or links would give me good advice? Everytime I contact a vendor, all they want to do is...sell, sell, sell.\

Any help would be appreciated and I can be contacted directly at
Dsravenoaks@aol.com THANKS IN ADVANCE
Dsravenoaks is offline   Reply With Quote