Thread: Overnighters
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2020, 12:11 PM   #11
CALinSC

Waddington, NY

One year while we were visiting family and friends in Maine, we decided to go west on US-2 (and other US & Rural highways) all the way to ND. It was still early in the year and there were lots of stops along the way.

Keeping with the message this thread is providing (overnighters), I’m just going to highlight short one or two night stops along this trail west.

We seldom stayed at state parks during our nearly 5 years of full time traveling. Looking back I can count them on one hand.

Coles Creek State Park is a 1,800-acre state park located on the Saint Lawrence River on the west bank of Coles Creek. The park is in the Town of Waddington in St. Lawrence County, New York.

Nearing the end of a traveling day we were searching for a place to spend the night. FHU sites were our favored places to stay. However we would accept sites with 30 amps and water providing they had a dump station. Nearing the State Park entrance we decided to see what they had to offer. We drove the rig to a ranger station/park office. A nice young man got a golf cart and drove us out to look at a site he thought we would like for an overnighter. Problem was it was a 30 AMP electric only site. On the way in to the site we could load-up the fresh water tank. Dump stations were located on the park exit roads.

Upon viewing the offered site we decided to stay for two nights because it was already late in the day. The pictures will help explain why we would accept an electric only site.

We never boondocked or used public parking lots. This was the closest we ever came to boondocking. We had a Honda 2000 generator but it was for emergencies only. We also had a 30 gallon “blue boy”. I can only remember using it twice. Once at Myrtle Beach state park and another at Walnut ridge RV Park, IN. Both places were W/E only.

NY Coles Creek SP on the St. Lawrence River - 5.jpg NY Coles Creek SP on the St. Lawrence River - 3.jpg

NY Coles Creek SP on the St. Lawrence River - 8.JPG Sunset Coles Creek SP 11.JPG