View Single Post
Old 10-27-2020, 02:02 AM   #1
BigFatFifthWheel

Ram 3500 or 5500?

Hope everyone is doing well. We are looking to purchase a 5th wheel, in the 33-37foot range. New to towing/RVing, but as with many people, our work lives have changed drastically, and now's the time to hit the road for a while.

I have spec'd out 2 different builds on a 2020 Ram diesel, both coming in at a price I am comfortable with.

A few questions -- I don't need the additional payload capacity of a 5500, but I do like the significantly tighter steering, and tighter turning radius.

How much will this come into play for maneuverability in and around camp grounds/boondocking? I like the idea of the cab & chassis, to be a flat bed with gravity tank on the back, and not have to worry about the tailgate, bed rails, etc.

I don't like what the beefed up suspension will do to the ride (since we won't be using the payload capacity as it's intended) and will likely add air bags to the rear.

That being said, a nicely spec'd 3500 is another option, with or without rear air.

Will the tighter turning radius make that much of a noticeable difference?

Any real world experience from driver's who have had both trucks or driving experience with both would be awesome.
BigFatFifthWheel is offline   Reply With Quote