View Single Post
Old 05-24-2021, 07:38 AM   #3
CALinSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabervin View Post
Time to purchase new tires for my 5th wheel. First time doing this, so I have a few questions.

1. Where to shop? Regular tire store? Specialty store? That depends on your traveling habits. For traveling away from home frequently you'll want tires that are easy to find. A lot of 16" LRG tires are mail order, even a big box provider may have to order them and drop ship them to your location.

2. How to have them mounted and installed? Take rig to store? I’ve read that trailer tires are harder to mount than auto tires due to stiff sidewalls and a tire jockey w/o the right experience or equipment can make a mess of your rims. How to avoid this? Inspect your wheels before you pay.

3. What are the top quality brands? Sorry I don't recommend brands, it's to controversial to do so.

4. Load range for 16800 gwvr? Trailer tires are required to support the trailer's certified GAWRs. According to specs I found for your trailer they are 16" LRG, normally found on 7000# & 8000# axles. They are at the top of the load carrying capacity for 16" tires. The next step up is 17.5" low platform trailer tires which are common and easy to find at truck tire retailers.

Appreciate your help on this.
Being a 2018 model I assume your current tires provide the load capacity reserves recommended by RVIA. Your current designated sized tires and load capacity would be a minimum requirement.