Thread: hydraulic leak
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 08:22 AM   #8
Motor31

Just letting it leak can lead to some expensive problems. If there is a leak it will affect both the hold on the ground and holding the jack in the retracted position. If those jacks drop while you are moving you could end up dragging or breaking them off of the trailer. Swapping out the ram is pretty simple and easy. Another thing, Lippert does not repair or rebuild a leaking ram, they just replace them. I found that out talking to the Lippert tech when we replaced my front ram last Summer. Seems a waste but he said the quality wasn't up to more robust rams used in construction or aircraft equipment.

Check to see if the ram or the hose is leaking. When I had a hose leak last winter I found out the hoses installed by DT factory (not lippert) have a working pressure of 2200 PSI, not the 2800 the pumps put out after the latest pump modification. Fittings can come loose and it may just need to be tightened. Check it with a 9/16 wrench then clean off the area and look for leaks.

Hoses are not covered under the warranty so you'll be on your own to replace them. A hydraulic shop can make a new one if you bring in the old one. Hoses are not expensive, it cost me less than $15.00 to replace the front cross trailer hose. One leading to the rear will be more expensive and you'll have to go under the bottom covering to get to it.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote