View Single Post
Old 04-25-2006, 09:16 AM   #3
Motor31

Hope.

I had a rig (Excel) with an installed generator in it. It was propane fueled and used it at about a gallon per hour for a 3600 Onan. I used it exactly once in the 2.5 years I had the trailer.

What do you intend for the generator? When it comes down to it, for boondocking in the winter all of your electricity needs can be met by a single Honda 2000. I now because that's exactly what I have done in the past. It handled the TV, computers, 120 volt lights and the microwave all simultaneously. For AC usage 2 of the Honda 2000's will run all that and the AC and each one will run for about 5 to 6 hours on less than a gallon of gas each. Now that propane is up to $3.00 and more in some areas, a gas generator is by far more economical not to mention cheaper to purchase innitially.

The generator box will also take up a significant portion of your basement and the built in generator will add quite a bit of weight to your rig which will drop your ccc (cargo carrying capacity) accordingly. Since the MS units already come out of the factory rather heavy you'll want to save weight capacity.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote