View Single Post
Old 01-10-2006, 08:14 AM   #8
5thwheeler

I'm sold on synthetic oil and use it in everything. There is a clear proven advantage to them over conventional dino based lubricants.
Some say that due to the cost they are not practical in certain situations however oil analysis has shown me that longer drain intervals are possible. With this in mind we use it because we are on the road much of the time and its very convenient to not have to service the truck on a mileage schedule. We also use synthetics for better protection in hot climates due to its superior high temp protection and in cold climates due to its lower pour points and cold flow characteristics.

My wife once had a leased vehicle and someone called me a fool for putting expensive synthetics in it since I would never benefit from the longer engine life. This person changed their oil every 4-5 thousand miles and if you figure it cost $19 per change and a 45000 mile lease it cost him $171. I put in a high quality true synthetic and filter and put 39k miles on the same oil for $40.
5thwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote