View Single Post
Old 02-01-2006, 07:29 PM   #7
MarineChief

To RodeWorthy - The package I have is NOT bundled - even though I have Verizon as my cell service. I use the computer card (slips into the pcimia slot - or whatever the proper name is) to access the internet. I did NOT however, get an email address with this service and I use Hotmail and a web-based service I already had (NOT from an ISP). I believe the card is voice capable and can be used to dial out for FAXes (if I had the proper FAX program - haven't been able to get Microsloth FAX to work). Anyway if these are used then there is a different connection and a 25-cent per minute charge applies. Figure if I need to FAX then I'll go to an office store, make a temp connection to a landline (if available), or look for a web-based service like e-fax.

The wireless card service was what was originally available to me when we moved out of the house to an apartment while waiting for the Teton to be purchased and constructed. The new address did not support the dsl service that I had before the move. The wireless card itself was found at an RV show booth in Timonium, MD and after some thought I decided that was the way to go. Original card was a Sierra Wireless AirCard 555 and service was pretty widespread but really not too fast. BUT it was quicker that dial-up and cheaper than any satellite service at that time. The "new-in-two" program offered through Verizon got me my current card (an Audiovox PC5740) which has the broadband feature and runs at least five times faster than the previous card. I tested its speed at 785 kbps down and 125 kbps upload (I don't upload all that often, so not a problem). The only connection problems I've had was in the Badlands of SD. Most everyone has trouble in the hills like this though. So... just took a trip to the parking lot at Crazy Horse and could download emails and perform banking operations - therefore, not a problem (again).

In all honesty there are faster connections out there to be had (satellite). But I'm retired and haven't the need-for-speed anymore, nor want to pay the expense of a dish setup. Also the wireless card works in the trees - at least I haven't had trouble there.

To Hobo - Yes I believe that you got the advertisement connected to the right card. So far I'm pretty well pleased with what I got. I've been also thinking about adding in the MS Office Kit should I be able to send a FAX though this service - also I believe its a good way to link the phone book to the computer so that I don't have to re-enter all the phone numbers when changing phones (what a pain). But in all reality I do not need this service at this time - its just a wish list kind of thing.

Hope the info is helpful - and the writing not too long
MarineChief is offline   Reply With Quote