View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #9
wingnut60
Site Team

gd,
To get all the correct weights, there are mostly 2 ways:
Weigh the truck as set up to tow, without the trailer hitched. Be sure to position the truck on the scales so that each axle is on a separate section of the scales. This will give you the truck axle weights.
Then get the trailer and reweigh with truck axles once again on separate sections. Subtract the 2 different rear axle weights and that will be the pin weight.
When I need these figures, here is how I do it: Find a multi-section CAT scales at a truck stop, hopefully one that isn't real busy. Talk to the cashier about that you will need 2 different weighings. Then, drive the truck and trailer onto the scales and position the front truck axle on one section, the rear truck axle on another section, and the trailer on the third section. Place the trailer so the front lifting legs are just on the third section also. Get the cashier to pull a weight as you sit there. After she gets the weight, extend the lifting legs to start raising the trailer, watching closely to see JUST WHEN the pin starts to lift off the hitch. DO NOT LIFT THE HITCH. Then get a 2nd weight. These figures will get you all the weight info you will ever need, EXCEPT should you need to know what each trailer wheel is supporting. That requires individual wheel scales.
Its a hassle to do all this, but you end up with really good information.

Also, on the generator issue--there should be a junction box on the outside of the gen compartment. While you are not connected to any power, and gen is off, take the cover off the junction box and check for loose connections. Outside of this, I know nothing about gens that will help. The junction box is the transfer switch to automatically direct power to the trailer when gen is in use.
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote