Thread: Break failure
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2019, 07:40 PM   #12
stanleyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop View Post
Well, I have a 2008 Ford F350 & a 2017 Ford F350. The brakes on either, when hooked to my DRV do work at 5 Mph as I stated above. Hard and rock solid. That is using the foot pedal or the hand brake. I just came back inside from verifying that with the 2017.

Bill
Interesting, mine on a 2014 do not. I had an 08 also but I don't remember if they did or not on that truck. Below 12 MPH I don't think I could tell if the trailer brakes did anything or not when the pedal is applied. Of course they bite with the squeezer, and that's how I check them when getting underway. As someone below said this has been discussed on FTE. I had a problem with mine and when trouble shooting that learned the hard way that there is no output from the brake pedal stopped. I learned from somewhere that they did not output below 12 MPH. But if you are sure your controller is stopping the trailer and not the truck brakes I guess Ford may have changed it on the 17 and up.

On Edit. OK I almost had it right. 2014 owners manual page 192. The TBC outputs very low signal at speeds under 11 MPH. What I told the OP waas correct. You cannot trouble shoot the trailer brakes when stopped by having someone push the brake pedal while you check for power at the wheels. You can however check them by squeezing the hand control. You can also check the trailer by pulling the break away, trailer should lock up.