View Single Post
Old 04-13-2007, 10:50 PM   #6
Motor31

Whelp, it's solved.

The compressor was fine. It was the "start up capacitor" that fried. It was most definitely toasted and took out the wiring leading to and from it. The burning stopped short of the board but a couple inches or wire had to be cut off and new connectors replaced. The capacitor got hot, really hot to the point it looked like the top had actually been on fire and that heat burned up the wiring insulation on the connecting wires. It took 15 minutes for the repair once the tech got on it. This is on the main AC / heat pump unit that was replaced last May.

I went to the place I found on the Dometic web site on my bike first to make sure that I could fit in the shop area and that the work would be authorized before packing up and getting the rig there. It was a good call to not just bring the rig. They do work on some Dometic products but noting related to freon or refridgerators. They did give me two numbers and names of folks who did do AC work. Both also did work at your location. One was on the factory authorized list so I called them. He was there in 2 hours and gone in 2.5 hours. The repair was covered but I did pay for the onsite visit. To me it was worth it given I'm at our son's place to help them pack and move. (I supervise a lot with my back) They have full hookups for us but getting in and out is a pain with the construction.

That was one situation. To make things even worse I had two other failures in the rig. When I dumped the tanks I tried to flush the black tank as usual. The check valve locked up and no water was able to pass into the tank. Then the water fitting blew the hose off stripping the threads in the fitting. I also got soaked since I was working the dump valve at the time. That was Thursday night.

Oh joy, Friday the 13th is such a wonderful thing....... I went to 3 RV supply locations before I could find replacements for each but got them both at the third supply house. It was only 50 miles of driving in heavy traffic on a Friday.. on a motorcycle..........

I did the repairs in 30 minutes and was able to go "supervise" some more before calling it a day. Now we have thunderstorms with possible heavy hail due late tonight then tomorrow. Sigh.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote