View Single Post
Old 07-12-2020, 10:49 PM   #9
k5ate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToe View Post
I had planned on a diesel but was talked out of it because this will be my daily driver and I do t put but maybe 3 miles a day on it. Only towing I will do is 3-4 times a year. Was told diesels don’t like short drives and all the emissions stuff I would be having issues with it.

That being said what about that video I linked with them towing 16k lbs with a gooseneck. They just being irresponsible? Also, with the info I’ve given you would suggest a camper in the 9kb range from the lot unloaded it is that still too much?
The GVWR on that truck is 10650 but they didn’t hit that until they hooked up the trailer, which means about 2500 pounds from the trailer was on the truck. If they showed a CAT ticket you’d see they were at total GCWR.

Keep in mind those guys do a specific thing, load it to max and run it up one of the steepest inclines at the highest elevation they can get to. If the truck can do that it will almost certainly do quite well pulling normal grades a few times per year. That said...

They spend a LOT of time loading those trailers, moving water totes around etc so they can hit GCWR within the GVWR of the truck. That’s almost certainly the reason they tow goosenecks instead of a fiver. Based on towing capacity any of the big three duallys could tow a New Horizons Majestic which tickets out at 30k... but the pin weight at 30k is likely at 6500 to 7500. Well over any class 3 dually payload.

You can’t do that weight balancing with a built fiver. So your 16.500 pound fiver is probably advertised at a pin weight based on it having no options and being empty, 14,000 maybe. But your basement and closet and tanks are in front of the axles. Rule of thumb is to hope for 20% of gross but plan for 25%. So you could be in the 3,300 to 4,100 pond pin weight on that fiver. IF you got the identical truck but the 3500 you’d gain some payload. Perhaps enough to pull it off. But that truck is nowhere near enough for a 16k fiver. A 16k flatbed or cargo w a gooseneck that you can load balance, sure, but that’s not what you’re doing.

I like that channel but wish they’d run similar tests with bug fivers. They wouldn’t be maxed on GCWR, which is their focus, but they’d show how well the trucks will do for a tall load at max gvwr.

My truck is a 2019 CC Duramax dually and it’s my daily driver. But I do more than your commute. We’re I in your situation I’d consider a one ton SRW with the big gas motor. Possibly the ext cab rather than the crew cab to increase availability of payload. Maybe an aluminum hitch from Anderson or pull rite. See what payload I can get. Get a fiver with radiused front cap so I don’t need the sliding hitch which is heavy, and look for a Reflection or Eagle Lite type of fiver that works. If you’re going out three times per year you aren’t going to appreciate the difference between a Pinnacle and an Eagle Lite.

Kate
k5ate is offline   Reply With Quote