View Single Post
Old 01-08-2019, 08:22 AM   #21
rorr1821

Pin weight and towing weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by tow n slow View Post
Hello all,
I am anxious about my RAM 2500 payload capacity of @ 2100lbs. I have been considered buying a 5er, with a GVWR @ 13000lbs which is well within my towing capacity of @ 17000lbs.

BUT most 30-32 ft 5er's have a pin weight of 1900-2300lbs which does not leave me any room for cargo in the tow truck.

I am considering upgrading my 2018 RAM 2500 SRW 4X4 to a 1 ton SRW drive.

My question is to you long timer's 5th wheel pullers, is 4X4 necessary?

We DON'T plan on any primitive camping. Just State parks, private camp sites for longer stays and maybe a one time trip up the Alaska Hwy in the summer.

I know I'm going to take a bath on selling or trading my 2018. But if I do upgrade I save myself some money by just getting a 2 wheel drive?

Your Honest feedback is appreciated!
I had a DRV in 2016 which is a very heavy 5th wheel compared to some other brands. I went through the same process currently facing you. In my case I decided on a Ram Dually 4x4 diesel. When you go to a 4x4 you lose a little in payload capacity. Ram has a great series of charts on the web which show all the towing stats for each configured P/U.

However, in your case as I see it you have several choices assuming you do not plan on upgrading to a heavier 5th wheel. Based on what you said you do not need a 4x4. If you go to a one ton single wheel you better off to pay an additional $1200 and get a dually. If you plan on a trailer that has a loaded weight of only 13,000 lbs a 3/4ton should work but you will have no room to expand. If you go to the spec sheets on the Ram for example a 3/4 ton crew with a 6.4L V8 with 4.10 ratio rear your payload is 3480 lbs and towing is 15810.

Another though is gas vs diesel. You only need diesel if you are going to tow more than 16,000. I have had both. Diesel fuel is more cost, the up charge for Diesel engine is around 3000 or 4000 more, maintenance in more money, and etc. Now I am speaking about Ram 6.4L gas engine. I do not know about brands.

Options to consider is the puck system offered by Ram for 5th wheel, and air leveling system. You can get after market but factory install is better. Rear axle ratio is critical. Do you homework. When you shopping you tell the salesman what you want. DO NOT RELY ON AN SALESMAN TO BE ABLE TO CONFIGURE THE VEHICLE YOU NEED.

You need to be sure about your weights before you make any decision. These 5th wheel manufactures are devious about the true weight. When you add water, propane, food, and cloths the weigh builds up quickly. The 5th wheel mechanism you put in the bed of the P/U weights around 250 lbs. Passengers in the tow vehicle add weight. It just goes on and on.

My opinion is that anyone towing a 5th wheel is much better off with a dually if for no other reason than safety. You get better stopping and control. Also if you go with a dually then diesel should be considered because that is the only way to increase you towing capacity.

Also note that a one ton will ride rough when unloaded as compared to 3/4 ton. The bottom line there are trade off’s which ever way you go.

Good luck
rorr1821 is offline   Reply With Quote