View Single Post
Old 01-01-2019, 09:11 PM   #19
Suite Sweets

TrailRider: Choose your 5th wheel first, then the truck. 5th wheels are made for either 1) becoming virtually a park model, which spends most of it's time parked, or 2) for traveling. If you're looking for a park model, this letter is NOT for you. If you're going to be traveling, then this letter if FOR you. For traveling, you want a strong frame. That means New Horizons, DRV, and Luxe. Why a strong frame ? My mid-level 5th wheel didn't have a strong frame. The frame flexed so much, that any caulk I applied, and I tried many brands, cracked within 2 days of travel. In my constant fight against water intrusion, I was constantly caulking - trying to seal those cracks. The used DRV I recently purchased has nice tight caulk lines. Some of those caulk lines have opened up since it was made in 2013, and I'm recaulking the whole unit. But I expect to do that annually, or semi-annually, not every 3rd day.

Our first 5th wheel had (not independent) springs, drum brakes, 16" wheels, adequate axles, awful tires, blah frame.. It was a mid-level name ordered cheap from the factory because the factory allowed the dealer to order cheap, and trade on the value of the name. I bought the name, and didn't know all the ways to build cheap. But I do now.

Next, choose brakes and wheels. You want disc and 17-1/2". I had drum and 16". Stopping, I attribute to the quality of the F350 brakes, not to anything on the 5th wheel. And yes, I had the brakes re-done by a pro, and checked by another pro. What I had was all I was going to get.

In my first 5th wheel, I had 13,000 lbs (empty) on 2-7,000 lb axles. The 2nd 5th wheel has 18,000 (empty) on 3-8,000 axles.

Others have recommended buying used - find the floor plan you like, make your learning mistakes with a less expensive unit. I concur. But I concur in that I recommend you buy one of the brands listed above, but older as needed to suit the budget you've allocated.

You're full timing. 36' is fine. We full-timed for 5 years and just bought a 43'. Down the highway, I find no difference. This one is 101" (vs 96"). I didn't pass anyone with the first 5th wheel, and I'm not passing anyone with the 2nd. We go to truck stops with the 2nd. Most gas stations just not spacious enough, and I've got 3 axles - hate to make those tight turns pulling the tires on that 3rd axle sideways on the concrete. It's said that any size you purchase, you will find to be too small in the campground, and too long on the road. I was counseled by an old hand, that when he stepped up to 42', he found no difference in pulling, and I agree.

Diesel vs gas. Consumers Reports says there is no justification for buying diesel - BASED ON EXPECTED LONGEVITY of the motor. I find the diesel dirty, expensive (14 quarts of oil in one change, and fuel, air, filters are more expensive than I ever spent on a gas engine). OEM recommendations of engine size are based on nationwide driving - mountains to seacoast, 2 lane highways to Los Angeles interstates. I mostly drive in a crescent from Texas to Maine - all relatively flat. I don't need the OEM's horse power and torque recommendations. Will you ? All that said, I love the hell out of my diesel. It's fast, powerful, quiet. A crew cab, long bed, on 20" wheels, we rule the parking lot. How likely is it you will drive your truck - gas or diesel - 250,000 miles ? Not likely.

If you decide to purchase your 5th wheel new, here's what you're fighting. You'll be laying out $100,000. And you want $100,000 worth of value in product and service. The manufacturer, if it sells through a dealer, has got to cut the dealer in for $15,000. That means the manufacturer is getting $85,000. But the manufacturer is going to net 5% after taxes on that sale (check out Thor's P+L, it's on the internet). So for any issues you've got with a new unit, again, you want $100,000 worth of value. While under warranty, the dealer is happy to provide you with whatever the manufacturer will reimburse. But the manufacturer only has $4250 in profit to please you. So if you have an issue of consequence, that manufacturer approaches you at a 100 to 4.2 disadvantage in the likelihood of making you happy. I have written other blurbs (not the same as a blog) about new RV pricing structure (manufacturer specific). If I were buying new, I'd look to be buying direct. Because the manufacture's business model has itself, not the dealer (and not you), pocketing the dealer's profit, there is a much greater likelihood of the manufacturer making you happy. The manufacturer has the profits to be able to so do.

Buying used, all seller's are on a level playing field. As Wingnut advises, spend a lot of time looking and talking. One other observation. If you go a long way to look at a unit for purchase, you feel the need to come away from the trip with what you went for - to show something for your efforts. Try to stay close to home, or, tie in other objectives with your trip to look and buy the RV. Visit you child, play golf at a fantastic course, etc. That way, if you don't buy, you have other objectives that you will meet, and the trip will not feel like such a loss.

Good Luck
Suite Sweets is offline   Reply With Quote