View Single Post
Old 02-08-2021, 04:34 PM   #21
TaoJones

Hotspot option

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMag View Post
Thanks for all the info folks. Looks like i will go with a cell hotspot for now. We are usually not far from "the grid". Maybe a signal booster will help? I dont want to spend 100/mo for a service i may use twice a month.
Going with a cell phone hotspot is not a bad idea, TMag, especially if you don't have large data needs. I did that six years ago and went with Verizon, since it seemed to have a wider footprint in the western US than AT&T or others.

My major complaints with Verizon's MiFi were that, 1) I had to sign a contract with Verizon for two years and, 2) the skimpy 5 GB of data for (IIRC) about $50/mo. in addition to my monthly Verizon cell phone bill. They say that 5 GB is enough for about 60 hours of internet use per month, but I found it astonishing how quickly I burned up my tiny daily allotment of 1/30 of that 5 GB total.

In addition, I thought the extortionate charge for anything in excess of 5 GB in one month was gouging at its finest. (Good old American capitalism, right? ).

At any rate, I only needed the Hotspot option when I was boondocking in Arizona for 4-6 months each winter, so I couldn't wait for my two year servitude to Verizon to expire and I could cancel. There's no doubt, though, that for the brief time period each year when I relied on the Hotspot, it was worth it to me.

Not to be overlooked, as well, is the option of visiting a local library or a McDonald's or Starbucks and using their free WiFi. I've done that often since ditching Verizon, and except for contracting Covid-19 in the Quartzsite library a year ago, it worked well for me.

TJ