View Single Post
Old 09-27-2018, 07:24 PM   #18
JustinChase

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott-maine View Post
If you leave the pump on all the time, the city water pressure is such that the check valve after the pump will stay closed, so the pump will not run. Once the city water is turned off, the check valve after the pump will not have the back pressure and will draw from the tank.

We only turn on the pump when we are hooked up to the city water.

Very few RVs have independent valves for each fixture, so you will have to shut off the water at the city water connection and shut off the pump. The best thing to do is to then open your low point drains and crack one of the fixtures, both hot and cold, to drain the water to the lines. The hot line connected to the cold may be a red PEX that runs to the hot water heater. By making this red, you can therefore trace the entire hot water system.

In my head, I'm thinking the tank and city water both come into a Tee, and that Tee then goes to the pump, then onto the RV water system. A check valve would be installed between the tank and the tee, to prevent the tank being filled from the city water supply.

The city water is my spring and has maybe 5-10 psi (just a guess, but very minimal). I'm hoping that by changing the system in this way, anytime a faucet in the RV calls for water, it will cause the pump to engage, pressurizing the system, as long as the pump is turned on, which it will always be.

If I ever move it from here, I'll need to install a regulator on the city water supply, but not necessary now.

as for the Pex, they ran everything in white, which is super not helpful.

I've marked up this photo to show the cold water (supply) in blue going to the water heater, and the hot in red coming from the water heater.

I have no idea what that fitting in the middle is, nor why it appears the cold flows into the hot water lines.

It seems all jacked up to me, but I do get warm water out of the tap, but I would not call it hot. it also doesn't seem to maintain temp.

Should I try to maintain this mess, or just run it like a normal person in a normal house?

I'm strongly considering just adding a water manifold and running home runs of both hot and cold to each fixture, since I need to re-plumb everything anyway.

I just can't help but think it's done this way for a reason, but I'm at a loss to come up with such a reason.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg water lines.jpg (211.2 KB, 6 views)
JustinChase is offline   Reply With Quote