Thread: Braking
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2006, 07:30 AM   #8
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Re: Brake

Well, I had mine changed about 2 months ago at the Allision dealership. They hooked up a computer unit and in about 90 seconds it was complete and we went off for a test ride. I've had a chance now to drive about 3,000 towing miles and I think it was a well worth investment. It doesn't have the neck snap shift down to 2 like it did, and the rpm seems much more controllable heading down a steep grade. I still can push the selector button to shift farther down when needed, and the rpm's are not way up there when coming over the crest of a steep downgrade. I like the change and should have done it years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDTdriver
Yes I do have the 6 speed. exhaust brake is set at 2 gear, I have been told to change to 4 gear by people with MDT's for a lot of years. And also told I then could down shif to 3 or 2 gear for exhaust braking. But I do like the 2 gear works for well in city traffic and slow speed on freeway's.
And it does work very well on 4 to 6% grades when I slow down to 45 to 50 the brake will start in 4th then down to 3 and hold speed at 45 all the way down. On city streets below 50 when I let off the pedal 4th 3d 2d and 1st. then we are at a 5 to 9 mph.
I vote of using 2 gear for the exhaust brake progam.

Larry & Kathy plus Mojo
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote