View Single Post
Old 12-09-2014, 01:55 PM   #12
porkchop

I just got off the phone with my favorite wholesaler. He said they do still sell some "old" untwisted phone wire. It is still used by the "old-timers" in both residential and small businesses where "Ethernet" high speed connections are not required. Phone only. There is a substantial difference in pricing being the reason. He said he is on his last batch of phone cable and will not replace it any longer and that he expects he will quit Cat 5 in the next year and transition to the newer generations as they come out. The technology and materials are changing rapidly. Price also.
Cat 5 is a designation signifying that the wires are in marked pairs and that each pair is twisted at a different # of twists per foot to prevent cross talk or "bleeding". Then they went to Cat 5E, and are transitioning to 6E now. The difference again is mainly the twist rate and addition of certain shielding technologies. And again, price.This is to allow higher speeds and less corruption of data.
I do not know for sure but I imagine the trailer manufactures finally realized that rv park phone service by wire is dying and "high speed" from a system in a rv park is not going to happen and are just using up supplies.
"Ethernet" usually refers to your own internal system connections as opposed to "internet." Most everything has already moved to wireless and thus little or no need in a small space such as a trailer with no competing systems or requirement to connect to main frame as would be encountered in an office or commercial setting.
Again, YEMV

Bill
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote