View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 12:49 PM   #10
RodeWorthy

Get the heat pumps and the fireplace

I have to add my endorsement for what other posters have said. We have two AC/heat pumps and the fireplace. They work very well and we do stay warm in moderately cold weather. Comments about flat rate or metered electricity are valid and that is a factor on what heat source we use.

Be advised the heat pumps do discharge their heat near the ceiling and heat tends to stay near the ceiling. There can be cool spots near the floor. The furnace discharges heat from the floor and actually heats the floor along the ducts. It heats the basement too. We use the ceiling fan while the heat pumps are active to help mix the air. There is no draft from the fan but it does help to spread the warm air around.

Heat pumps are way more efficient that heat strips. If you want heat strips you would be better off to buy an auxilliary electric heater and place it on the floor. We use no other heat source than the furnace, heat pumps and fireplace. I would do the same again.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote