PDA

View Full Version : Finish on kingpin extension

NYCAMPER
05-10-2005, 04:58 PM
Hope this site does well!!

Our king pin extension is starting to rust. I would love to have it powder coated but worry about affecting the clearances. Other than repainting has anyone done anything else like maybe have their kingpin extension plated in some way? I think chrome would look awesome.

5thwheeler
05-10-2005, 05:14 PM
Joe - do you mean the pin-box itself? Ours came from the factory looking like it was painted in the rain by a first grader so we will be sanding it down & repainting black.

cwsoules
05-10-2005, 05:56 PM
I painted ours with spray paint and it looks good.

thevfox
05-10-2005, 05:59 PM
I would sand it down and put a good quality epoxy paint on it :D

8)

NYCAMPER
05-10-2005, 06:07 PM
Yes I mean the pin box itself. Mine also looks like about 30 seconds was spent putting a coating on this item. The least they could do is give it a few nice coats of paint. The same thing with the frame. It looks like they lay it on the ground and shoot 1 quick coat of paint and forget the bottom of the frame it has no paint on it at all. Anyone else do anything besides paint?

5thwheeler
05-10-2005, 06:19 PM
I thought about having some pieces of diamond tread aluminum cut to fit each surface and attaching them with self tapping screws.

Off Topic but somewhere I saw a pin box that had a bracket mounted on it that was used for mounting a Honda EU3000 generator which I thought was a great idea.

jayc
05-10-2005, 06:44 PM
I painted mine with black Rust-O-Leum and it looks much better than before.

Rusty
05-10-2005, 08:10 PM
A little bit of TLC goes a long way.

Maybe a good clear coat as well after a good enamel will spruce it up as well.

I have never really paid that close enough attention to the pin box to tell you the truth. And I lowered it, so now I have basically bare metal.

CAMPDOG
05-11-2005, 12:28 PM
I am thinking about getting my pin box and gooseneck adaptor Dura-lined
(spray in bedliner coating) to match my existing bedliner (black). you could go that route and get your fifth wheel (not the mating surfaces) done as well. If you do, post the pics so maybe I will have the courage to spend the money.

different subject has anyone had the bottom front of their 5th wheel coated with any of these products?

Rusty
05-11-2005, 01:17 PM
I haven't got that done, I have thought about it though.

I know quite a few dealerships in Alberta will get it done for you, but it is a bit pricey, mind you they are most likely jacking up the price as a middle man deal, I have talked to one of the guys in town who does the spray in liner and he would be willing to do it.

You could also go the "Diamond Plate" route as well, I have seen a few trailers running around with it screwed onto the front of the unit. And it looks real good.

Scot
05-11-2005, 01:22 PM
I'm not sure I would want diamond plate on the king pin as the sun hitting that just right for any lenght of time would be quite blinding in the rear view mirror... Just my thought.. I would consider doing the front of the lower side under the over hang to protect from rocks and such.. I have seen it at decent prices on Ebay...

steve_darlene
05-11-2005, 05:51 PM
Hi I use to have a MH. The Bumper was always rusting. I went to the local parts store and bought a couple of cans of bedliner spray. Worked well. Maybe this would work? :lol:

jcasey
05-12-2005, 08:26 PM
There are others perhaps, but Ironclad is an excellent paint. I have used it on 5th wheel hitches and all painted metal on the trailer that is exposed.

It is very durable, and once made a welder wonder what it was since it stood up to the welding torch much better than other paints.

I have used that and then used Impervo as the top coat.

Ironclad is an excellent rust preventor. Rustolem (sp?) is not a rust preventor, unless they have added that to their paints recently.

For what it is worth.

crunch1
05-13-2005, 01:37 PM
The problem with getting bedliner sprayed on around my area is the coach will not fit in the door or in the spraybooth. Thought about the spraycans, but waiting on some one else with more courage to try it.
crunch1

Rusty
05-13-2005, 02:12 PM
The place I referred to earlier in the thread also does major sandblasting on transport trucks, so they are set up for some real large units, lots of room.

Maybe I should try the rustoleum bed liner spray cans.

gr8adventure
03-21-2009, 07:58 PM
I have a 1621 pin box by Lippert...I purchased an ABS pin box cover from them...some 5ers are coming with them now especially the Heartland Products. They work on a pin box even with the Rota-Flex by Trail-Air attached. It is the product that is similar to the Morryde pin box.