PDA

View Full Version : Bed retro?

nelsonraymond
11-22-2007, 09:13 AM
Is there anyone who has had the metal King size bed springframe and taken it out to change it over to ply wood. If So How did you do your supports out of wood and can you send pictures? We are considering doing this. Also does anyone know if the select comfort mattress weight is any differnt than a normal mattress?

Thanks
Janice

jdwilson3
11-22-2007, 04:54 PM
Janice, the Select Comfort bed has almost no weight to it at all. One person can carry the whole thing under one arm when boxed.

bstark
11-22-2007, 08:02 PM
If the plywood under-layment duplicates the steel framing profile exactly, the Select-Comfort mattress will fit with no overhanging anywhere and will also fit under the vanity when slideout comes in due to the lower height of the plywood from the much thicker steel tubing.

rjohnsonnm
11-22-2007, 08:18 PM
I don't have any pictures, but what I did was take the spring-supported nylon out and installed 1"X4" slats running from head to foot about 4" apart. I cut them in 2 pieces so the bed would raise up and attached them to the steel framing with screws. I only put them in the area where the frame was lower than the outside edges. I hated the middle of the bed being lower than the edges. Now it is flat all the away around the bed and it is much easier to get out of bed. I hope this makes some sort of sense.

By the way, the regular Select Comfort King Size bed is wider than the present mattress by about 4". You might be able to squeeze it in but it will be really hard to put the sheets on.
Ron

rverdlm
11-23-2007, 08:56 AM
I just removed the springs and the nylon material. I then cut pieces of luan (a thin, cheap plywood) to fit the metal frame and screwed them right to the metal frame. I left a gap at the spot where the bed frame bends so that the power lift head and the storage access works as before. We bought a California King SC mattress. It's a few inches longer than the original mattress, but when we bring the slides we just let the air out and the mattress just colapses with no problem.

billr
11-23-2007, 11:09 PM
We took the heavy iron frame out and replaced it with plywood supported at 5 spots with perforated angle across, hinged at the same location as original.
At least 80lbs saved in the change of just the frame vs plywood.

This was in prep for a SC bed, but after using it with the original mattress, we found it much better and held off for now on the SC. It was the bars in the metal frame that caused the discomfort for us.

Cheers,
Bill

jdwilson3
11-24-2007, 10:21 AM
Check with Camping World. Select Comfort sells RV KING sized mattress thru them, they are listed as 70" X 80".

BigBoy2U
11-25-2007, 12:52 AM
I was about to slide 1x8 pine boards under the nylon to level it out. Those that have removed the nylon did you find that the "slats" on top of the metal bars was enough support? I dont like the spings and was going to do plywood but then noticed the bars dropped almost an inch. So next was to use 1x8's and I was going to silicone them to the bars to avoid screws and leave a 1/2 gap at the hinge joint. Also Costco has the NovaForm bladder mattress http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11236702&search=novafoam&Mo=25&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=0&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=novafoam&Ntt=novafoam&No=2&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

They have the King and Cal King on sale for $779

nelsonraymond
11-29-2007, 01:01 PM
Hi
Has anyone bought the Select Comfort from Camping World who has the metal frame and if so how does it work with the metal tab/bar at the foot where the old mattress tucks in behind it? This select comfort at 80 is actually a little longer then the mattress on the bed now, so did you cut that bar off?
Janice