PDA

View Full Version : Where to Weigh?

pmkitchen
11-02-2007, 04:39 PM
:? Where is the best place to go to weigh my new 2008 MS 36 RS3 and Ford F450 truck? I pulled a trailer before getting this new rig, but never weighed it. If you know of a web site that lists locations, that would be a great help.

Thanks

Stripit
11-02-2007, 05:23 PM
:? Where is the best place to go to weigh my new 2008 MS 36 RS3 and Ford F450 truck? I pulled a trailer before getting this new rig, but never weighed it. If you know of a web site that lists locations, that would be a great help.

Thanks

Where are you located? and where will you be this winter?

47hook
11-02-2007, 06:15 PM
http://www.catscale.com/

Google it: Cat Scales and you should come up with it; also certified scales, etc.

Motor31
11-03-2007, 10:06 AM
The best bet is to use a service like Stripits, where each wheel is weighed so you get side to side load info as well as axle / tire load info.

If that's not possible you can get it weighed at a truck stop scale. Just look to see if the scale is certified accurate and frankly if they are selling the service, state regs will require that they be certified and tested by the state's dept of weights and measure.

Make sure the tow vehicle has each axle on a seperate pad and that the trailer axles are on one pad. Then drop the trailer and weigh the truck separately. Subtract the unladen truck rear axle weight from the loaded rear axle reading and you will have your pin weight for the trailer. It's not as good a weight resource since you won't know if you are heavy on one side or the other or if any particular axle / tire is overloaded. You'll just get the gross weight of each and the combination.

Stripit's (Stacey) can give you the best weight "product" if you can meet up with him, or another who does the same thing.

bettyj
11-09-2007, 10:26 AM
I agree with Motor 31. Staceys the man to rely on.

bettyj
11-09-2007, 10:28 AM
I agree with Motor 31. Staceys the man to rely on.

bettyj
11-09-2007, 10:31 AM
I agree with Motor 31. Stacey is the man to rely on.

layne
11-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Motor31

We weighed ours at a CAT scale at a truck stop in Indiana. Total weight was 31,562. After unhooking the truck and weighing only the trailer, it was 18,840. Can we tell the pin weight with these figures?

Stripit
11-09-2007, 07:39 PM
Wow Betty! Thanks a lot. Triples yet 8)

Motor31
11-10-2007, 08:03 AM
Motor31

We weighed ours at a CAT scale at a truck stop in Indiana. Total weight was 31,562. After unhooking the truck and weighing only the trailer, it was 18,840. Can we tell the pin weight with these figures?

I can give you a qualified maybe on that. It depends on the type of scale you used. If it was a single pad scale where the entire rig is weighed on one scale sensor, no. If it was a multiple pad scale where you can place each tow vehicle axle on a separate pad and the trailer axles on another, yes. That way you get 3 weights, the front and rear axle of the tow vehicle and the combined axle weights of the trailer.

After weighing both, drop the trailer in the lot and re weigh the tow vehicle, again with each axle on separate pads. Subtract the unloaded rear axle weight from loaded and that will give you the pin weight. Both axles of the tow vehicle should show more weight when hitched but the vast majority will be on the rear due to the hitch placement location over the rear axle.

Haggis
11-12-2007, 12:48 PM

Thanks

The "FlyingJ" is a popular place for RV's to get weighed.

bettyj
11-13-2007, 02:42 PM
Computer went crazy I guess. I don't think I sent it three times. But Stacey deserves the compliments