PDA

View Full Version : Water Heater Question

wintering
10-14-2007, 05:16 PM
Hello all. I have a question on water heater that i hope someone can help with. We took the rig (32TK3) out to the ocean a couple weeks back. Much to our joy, everything seemed to work and had no problems or leaks for once. Except when we used the electric water heater, all we got was barely luke warm water. When we switched to propane is worked great. We were on 50 amp shore power, and have not previously had any problems using the electric water heater. Any ideas?

morscuba
10-14-2007, 07:28 PM
Probably just calcium buildup on the heating element. Drain the tank, take the element out and maybe you can knock off the deposit (be careful that you dont damage the element). If that doesnt work then just go get a new element at the hardware or rv supply store.
P.S. dont forget to to turn your circut breaker off to the water heater.

sigo'suite
10-14-2007, 07:54 PM
Just a thought. Did you check to be sure the paddle switch for the water heater, inside the control closet in the coach, had not been accidentally bumped to the off position.
I am very cognizant of this since it happened to me, much to my embarassment when the tech found my problem.

Hobo
10-14-2007, 09:34 PM
There are different thermostats for the electric then gas also and that could be a source of the problem. Best thing is to take a ohms meter and check out all electric components by cutting off the power and then removing the wire from one side of each component to see if you have continuity.

rverdlm
10-15-2007, 08:47 AM
The electric side of the water heater has 2 switches. One in the closet and the other on the tank itself. I had a problem with mine when the outside switch failed. Before you replace the element check it with an ohm meter to see if it's the problem. I don't know what the number should be, but if it's bad it will show open.