PDA

View Full Version : MS Suite Roofs

golf_bears
09-25-2007, 07:54 AM
Am planning on ordering a new MS soon. Was wondering about the roof surface composition. Doubletree was using a vinyl roof material but now they have gone back to the EPDM. Not sure if I'm interested in the EPDM.

In speaking with them, they indicated I could order the fiberglass roof used on the Elites for my MS. Was wondering if anyone has done this and if so are you satisfied with the quality of DT's work with respect to the fit and finish on your fiberglass MS roof?

Thanks for your responses.

igotjam
09-25-2007, 08:11 AM
Don,t do it. Fiberglas is good for rips etc but the constant flexing will cause leaks at the joints. You'll end up putting something flexible over the joints to keep water out. Others might have different experiences but for me...I don't think I'd get a solid roof again.

hitchup
09-25-2007, 08:11 AM
The Fiberglass roof was one of the main reasons we picked the Elite. David actually climbed up the ladder to look closely at the two Suites sitting side by side to make a comparison between fiberglass & vinyl.

Because ours is an early Elite, we had the bad screws & "incompatible" caulk. It seems to be holding up & is very easy to clean. Plus, fewer black streaks down the side of unit. The few we get are usually because we have to sit for extended times under falling leaves/debris. We had a EPDM on previous 5er. In 10 mos, it suffered multiple punctures from trees. This one had a huge limb fall on it didn't suffer a scratch, except for the Sat dome.

He has looked closely at a 2007 Elite roof & thinks it appears to be slightly different at the seams. Roof is in 2 pieces, seam is over the kitchen above the door. We haven't had access to an 08 ES yet....

Carny Bill
09-25-2007, 08:33 AM
Last winter Illinois had a terrible ice storm. My Elite had very large branchs hit the roof an bounce off. Over a dozen of them, some as large as 2 inch round and about 5 foot long. The roof had zero damage. I feel certain a any other rood would have been ripped up. My roof is almost 2 years old now and never a leak. I will stay with the fiberglass roofs.

morscuba
09-25-2007, 11:22 AM
I think its gonna be about 6 of one and half dozen of the other. I am waiting del. on my ms and decided to stay with the rubber roof. I've had one on my Alfa the last three years and am satisfied the with it. I took into account the weight (the FG will be a bit heavier). I don't have a problem with the 2x a year conditioning. If you do have (I haven"t) a rip or a tear its not that hard to repair. I've done glass work before and its a bit more labor intensive. I think either way you'll be happy.
Sam

wingnut60
09-25-2007, 02:23 PM
If you don't mind my asking, what is the gross axle rating on you Dodge?

Joe

rverdlm
09-25-2007, 04:32 PM
If I had my druthers , I'd have a fiberglass roof, but only if it was one piece. I've had both EPDM & vinyl over the 12 years we've been full time. I've not had any problem with ether of them. We once sat in the woods in MD as a hurricane went through. Limbs as big as 3 or 4 inches fell on the EPDM roof with no damage. If you pay attention to what's overhead, I don't think there is a problem with any of the membrane roof materials and they are considerably lighter.