PDA

View Full Version : How do you store you hitch?

Salty Dog
05-15-2005, 06:24 AM
I use my truck for hauling firewood in the fall. Looking for ideas on storing the hitch once I take it out of the truck bed.

cdrcos
05-15-2005, 09:04 AM
The simplest way we have found it to leave it attached to the kingpin of the fifth wheel. When you put the fiver away for the season, just use the jacks to take the weight off the hitch and disconnect from the rails.

This saves on wear and tear on your body lifting 200 lbs. and provides a good place to leave the hitch. Works great.

Rusty
05-15-2005, 10:54 AM
It depends on the manufacture of the hitch.

With my hitch it is mounted fore and aft, not side to side, when the installer mounted my hitch there was a dent in the box of the truck, and he attempted to striaghten it out, but didn't quite do it. So when he finsihed up one side of the rails is pinched and it is hard to remove the hitch. Unless I use a 4 X 4 and a sledge hammer!

So if I was to leave it hooked to the 5er it would be quite the project, that and I would need 3 men and a baby to help me hang it on the pin!

All I do is take the hitch out of the truck, and place it on 2 X4's sitting on the floor of my garage.

crunch1
05-15-2005, 05:21 PM
Rusty,
Think maybe you ought to use the hammer, and wood on the installer instead? :)
crunch1

Rusty
05-16-2005, 08:40 AM
Crunch I just about did!

And to top it off I took the truck back to them when I had stalling issues and they charged me a $#!+ load of money and couldn't find the problem! eventually I found it was a ground wire that had backed off on my injector pump! I should give you guys the URL to the Thread in the forum that helped me out the most, I think it went to around 8 pages!

Needless to say I now call them Stealers, vice Dealers!

GailZ
05-23-2005, 11:24 AM
We have a reese 15K. We remove the head, then the legs section and place them in our garage. The rails stay in the truck bed allowing us to load items in it. I weigh 123 lbs and can remove the hitch myself by doing it that way. While removed DH cleans, lubes and checks the hitch for wear and tear then covers it with a plastic trash bag.

Charlan
01-03-2007, 05:58 PM
I use my truck for hauling firewood in the fall. Looking for ideas on storing the hitch once I take it out of the truck bed.

I take mine out, then remove my V gate and put my regular gate on for the winter.

Beach-House 4
01-15-2007, 02:25 PM
I have the B&W hitch it comes right out in 10 mins. in two pieces for easier lifting leaving a flush bed and in the garage it goes for some light sanding of any rust prime and paint grease the fitting and done.