PDA

View Full Version : Zone l A/C out again!

SuiteWheels
08-16-2007, 01:42 PM
Well, I came home yesterday after being gone all day and noticed the a/c tried to come on and that horrible smell again...quickly turned it off and turned on bedroom a/c. Hubby is going to call and hopefully get ahold of Tom Peck. I'm so thankful that it didn't happen early in the morning because it would have continued trying to come on....the thought it might have caught on fire with our kitty here scares me to death!

The compressor just won't click on but every few seconds it tries to and the smell gets worse the longer it keeps trying to click in......will update you after we find out what we're going to do. :?

This time I wasn't here and hadn't turn on the dryer or anything....so guess it's not something "stupid" I did! LOL

jdwilson3
08-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Tom can't help you with this problem...this is a Dometic issue.

When the compressor won't start, it is USUALLY one of two issues

1. Compressor is siezed
2. Capacitor & Hard Start Relay are burnt.

Motor31
08-17-2007, 10:06 AM
If all you get is a loud hum with a click and it shuts off then does it again. All with a burned wire smell, that's a burned out capacitor and or motor start relay. It's possibly both as they are right next to each other and responsible to start the compressor motor. If your AC guy have the parts it's an easy quick fix. Ask him to check the amp draw when the unit runs to see if it's drawing more power than it should, putting too great a load on those two parts. If it is you are likely to have the same problem again.

I've had one heatpump replaced outright and have had the above items replaced 2 times. I don't have any confidence in dometic any more. Neither the awning nor AC units have been problem free.

jdwilson3
08-17-2007, 03:08 PM
Mike, I just had two AC units replaced, one 13.5k had been replaced once before and repaired once (both had siezed compressors, and the repair was for the capacitor and relay) Both had burnt smell. When the compressors were siezed, each unit was pulling 75 amps trying to start.

I have now had a total of 5 Dometic Duo-Therm units on my ES, counting the original two. I have a total lack of confidence in them. I listen to them constantly, waiting for the "failure to start" and the smell.

Okie
08-18-2007, 10:32 AM
JD, Are your units A/C's or are they heat pumps?

Okie

jdwilson3
08-18-2007, 04:03 PM
We have two AC units, front (bedroom) is 13.5K and the rear (living room) is a 15K.