PDA

View Full Version : We hit a deer.

osiebosie
07-30-2007, 08:59 PM
I didn't even see it.

We pulled the RV from home to Walmart to stay overnight, so we could hit the interstate easily tomorrow when we leave for Biloxi. We live w-a-y out in the country.

Well, George was driving slowly, and the poor young deer just came out of nowhere, on a hill. There was nothing to do. I didn't even see it, and it came from my side. It went under the front tires, back tires, and then the rv tires. It was AWFUL. :cry: I sobbed for ten minutes.

It didn't do any damage to the truck, none to the rv, however, there is a small mess to clean up off of the front of the rv and the left jack. At least it did not suffer.

What a way to end my birthday. And George feels horrible, although there was NO WAY to avoid it.

You know, this really brought home how heavy these rigs are, and how powerless we are to make a quick stop.

Sharon

bstark
07-30-2007, 09:13 PM
Sharon: Try not to despair and think instead of how lucky you were not to have hit two or even three of them as they almost always travel together as a family unit. Where one comes up on the highway, very often another will run into your unit futher back.

A gentle creatures accidental death is never pleasant but still nevertheless unavoidable.

osiebosie
07-31-2007, 07:35 AM
Thanks. It still brings tears to my eyes. It was so awful.

There was only one, as we had to go home that way and saw it. But, yes, there are usually many more when one is to be seen. Same with turkeys, which have done very well out here since being introduced. There've been many many times I've just come to a complete stop in the road for a family to pass.

It really made us aware, again, how heavy we are while towing. Ever since we got the MS, I think twice about pulling out in front of an 18-wheeler, or even a large truck. I know they don't have the stopping capacity a car does. (However, we would not have missed that deer yesterday even in a car.) And I see cars weaving and cutting in front of big vehicles all the time. Makes me want to smack them.

Sharon

wingnut60
07-31-2007, 07:50 AM
So sad--I cringe when I see dogs on the side of a busy highway, knowing what is soon to happen.

But, a bright spot is that you did not react as some will and try to miss the animal, causing maybe much more permanent harm to oneself.

Motor31
07-31-2007, 08:32 AM
Be thankful that you are uninjured and no damage to the rig. There's not much you can do about deer except keep an eye out for them and avoid as best you can. I second the bit about not taking severe evasive moves with a rig, you are likely to end up in the ditch or worse. When it comes to saving the critter or yourselves. I vote for keeping people safe. I try to restrict our traveling to the middle of the day in deer country when they are less active. Early morning and late afternoon are heavy movement times for them. They also are not bright critters so they tend to do stupid things when faced with traffic.

2 DA WDS
07-31-2007, 11:03 AM
Try it on a motorcycle! You think you have a clear field of vision until the deer appears out of nowhere. Fortunately neither of us were injured badly. Lost a windshield and trunk and all I got was a bruise, pretty sure the deer had a headache. Looked in the mirror and saw 2 more running across the road!