PDA

View Full Version : What do you do to protect you and rig at hook-up time?

RodeWorthy
07-26-2007, 08:49 AM
Here is an easy one. Tailor made for group participation. :)

What do you do to protect your rig (and you) when you hook-up at a campsite? This has been covered before but it may be useful to review it again for those of us new to the process.

I have heard of surge protectors for the electric, sanitation of the water spout prior to use, pressure regulators for water supply, pre-filters and water softeners for water supply, anti-bug remedies around the tires and jacks, etc. There are probably many more I am not aware of. Any special tips for the sewer system? Do you pre-test the electric before plugging in?

Please let us know what you do and the products you use to get set up at your campsite.

Rodeworthy

2 DA WDS
07-26-2007, 09:25 AM
I always wear a condom. :D

OOOOOHHHHHH not THAT kind of hook-up. :oops:

ponch
07-26-2007, 11:15 AM
BEAT ME TO IT!! DURN IT!

ponch

ponch
07-26-2007, 11:19 AM
seriously;

I use a surge protector right out of the electrical station/box.

I also pre filter water prior to entering the coach.

Also use a water pressure regulator at the spigot.

Ponch

rverdlm
07-26-2007, 11:52 AM
I check the power before we plug in, but I don't use a whole coach surge protector. All my electronics are on a very high quality surge protector. I measure the water pressure and use a high flow regulator if it's over 60 psi. I use a double filter (1 micron followed by a half micron charcoal). A half micron is small enough to take out most micro organisms. I follow the filters with a water softener.

jdwilson3
07-26-2007, 03:35 PM
The FIRST thing I do is chock the wheels on both sides with Rotochoks. That way the 5er is still there when I hook up all the other stuff!

larry_electricguy
07-26-2007, 04:05 PM
First I make suye the power is correct. I check the recptacle and make sure it is not cracked. I also ckeck to make sure the plug goes in tight, if it is loose it will heat up. I also check the breaker to make sure it turs on tigt if not it is wore out. I have moved to a different site or made them change out the plug if it doesn't feel right. In the hot summer I try to get a site close to a transformer due to voltage drop from all the ac units running. I've got to get a voltage regulator, on my christmas list. Low voltage or surges can sure ruin your day.

Larry

billr
07-26-2007, 04:51 PM
I use a whole unit hard wired 50 amp power surge protector from CW. Cover most elec woes. Also monitor power with a volt meter plugged in the kitchen.

Watts adjustable water pressure regulator with incoming pressure gauge, set to 60 psi max installed on an external whole house water filter.

Check all slide areas for clearance BEFORE you unhook the truck. :shock: :shock:

Cheers,
Bill

osiebosie
07-27-2007, 08:20 AM
FIRST AND FOREMOST: We potty the dogs...

RodeWorthy
08-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Thanks to all who replied. Good advice in there amongst the SAAs.

I was hoping to see more brand names/models to save me some work. I have to go buy all this stuff! :lol: Oh well, it hasn't been easy so far. Might as well get at it. I do appreciate the filter and water pressure rate information.

Does anyone else think the low voltage cut-out for popular surge protectors is too low at 102 VAC? I would not want the available voltage to be below 110VAC for sustained periods on my air conditioners and other devices sensitive to low voltage. It is too bad the hi/lo parameters are not user-selected values. Is it impractical to try to maintain a 110VAC minimum?

There is much controversy on the use of autoformers to maintain voltages. I have such a device rated for 20A with variable output to 17% over input voltage. I am considering using it on a selected circuit (probably A/C). Would I be a bad neighbour for use of such a device?

Rodeworthy

hitchup
08-03-2007, 11:25 AM
I was hoping to see more brand names/models to save me some work. I have to go buy all this stuff! :lol:

There is much controversy on the use of autoformers to maintain voltages.

We use the 50amp Frank's Voltage Booster. Didn't recommend it before but it is big bucks. But considering, our first summer fulltiming, we experienced so many power outages in SC (whole city had problems) that we had 3 Monster Electronics surge protectors fried during a brown out. It wasn't cheap to replace those either.

Since our Suite has even more expensive electronics, we opted for the Frank's VB. That's all the dealer had at the time of RV purchase. We used our 10% off coupon. It did it's job at a rundown 30amp park in VA this Spring, too. Plus we still use the MSurge protectors on equipment.

Suitedreams
08-11-2007, 12:00 AM
We decided to go with the Hard-wired Surge Guard mounted in the power compartment, since a few months ago someone had their in line Surge Guard stolen. I moved the 50 amp power box over and mounted the surge guard in the compartment using the existing wires. It has saved our A/C's several times over because when the power goes out and comes right back on it has a 2 min delay which prevents damage to the compressor. The surge guard also checks for proper wiring. IF YOU DON'T FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH WIRING, CAMPING WORLD WILL INSTALL IT.