PDA

View Full Version : A/C troubles

jdwilson3
07-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Last August (2006) our front 13.5K AC was replaced for a siezed compressor. Our ES was built in 05/06, and I took delivery 06/06, so that unit lasted just 2 months.

June 16th, in Roswell New Mexico, our first night out, front AC wouldn't start. 10 days later, when we got to Pennsylvania, it was diagnosed as a fried capacitor and hard start relay. Dealer replaced the part and it worked fine until about 10 days later when we were in Virginia....Got up in the a.m. to a warm trailer. Checked the thermostat and there was no display! Of course, neither AC will run. I did the reset procedure and instead of reseting, got a reading of EE, (after the FF when I let the top and bottom buttons loose.

After talking with Dometic, I removed the covers and checked both the wire from thermostat to rear AC and wire from rear AC to the Front AC, however the connections were tight. Then unplugged the wire from the rear to the front AC, did a thermostat reset, and the rear AC started up fine. Figured we would take care of the front when we got back to AZ.

We were in Midland Texas when the rear AC (15K) quit....now here I was in Texas in July and I got NONE!

Next day (Saturday) we left a 4am and drove 566 miles to Benson AZ. Was not going to spend another night south of the Canadian border without AC!

Today 07/24, service tech went on the roof and we tried to run the rear AC, and it was pulling 75 amps trying to start. He did a check and the compressor is siezed. Checked the front AC and it too is siezed.

We had good voltage in all RV Parks, and we did not have any thunderstorms in our area. Service tech tells me Dometic will replace the AC units, because they do not do Compressor replacements in the field.

Hobo
07-25-2007, 12:26 AM
JD
We spend the winters in AZ and would like to know what dealer you use in Benson?
TY Rick

jdwilson3
07-25-2007, 11:29 AM
I use the service of KIWI RV. Kiwi is a mobile service operated by Steve Weeks (he is from New Zealand...hence the KIWI RV name.) There are NO RV dealers located in Benson, although, in the winter season, LaMesa RV operates a remote lot in town, but for sales only.

Steve is a certified, insured, etc, technician. He does warranty work for just about every make RV and the components. He used to be a resident of Butterfield RV Resort, but recently bought a house in town. He still provides priority service to the guests here at Butterfield. He does excellent work, and stands behind his work. He does NOT charge for warranty work, and does all the paperwork, etc, and gets his payment from the manufacturer. He may charge a small "trip" charge to come to the resort, but it sure beats taking your RV to Tucson several times to get something done.

As a follow-up, Steve did the trouble shooting on Tuesday and contacted Dometic (Duo-Therm) on Tuesday, and this morning informed me that 2 new AC units are on the way, and should be here Friday.

Hobo
07-25-2007, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the info. I have noted it down and will defiantly use him if need come up.
Rick

RodeWorthy
07-26-2007, 08:01 AM
Good post JD,
Problem well described, troubleshooting tips were noted and it is great to learn there are good service people out there. Well deserved plug for KIWI RV. We need more upbeat reports like this one. Sorry you had troubles but it appears they are being well taken care of. Thanks for sharing the experience.

Rodeworthy

ponch
07-26-2007, 11:28 AM
JDWilson3

Do you happen to have his PH.# so I can wright it dwn?

Ponch

jdwilson3
07-26-2007, 03:33 PM
The phone numbers for Kiwi RV are (520) 221-0573 / 0574

I highly recommend that you stay at Butterfield RV Resort if you need Steve to do some work for you. He seldom travels out of the Benson area, as he has enough work to keep him in the local area, without having to wander. You can check the Butterfield RV Resort website at www.rv-resort.com . There have been some SOITC members here, but I will leave it to them to comment about the resort if they happen to come upon this subject.

jdwilson3
08-01-2007, 05:11 PM
Kiwi ordered the AC units on Monday (07/23) and they were delivered early Friday (07/27)! Front unit was installed that day, and the rear was completed on Monday (7/30). Sure is nice to have Air again!

Now if we can keep them both working for a few years....

Stripit
08-02-2007, 06:58 PM
Glad you got your a/c units working!

We can & will gladly vouch for the outstanding Butterfield Resort in Benson! It's super clean, wide & long, level sites, paved roads, close to shopping & restaurants & has a very helpful & accommodating staff! It don't get much better than this one! :D