PDA

View Full Version : A/C blew up...

SuiteWheels
07-06-2007, 10:03 AM
AGAIN!!! Last summer we had to get a part replaced and last night while in the shower I noticed our Molly (our cat) up on the sink sniffing & looking up to the vent....heard hubby yell ...stuck my head out of the door and the smell about made me sick!!

d/h thought it was going to catch on fire so he quickly turned it off...it's the front a/c.....thank goodness we still have the back one...it was 108 here yesterday and expected to be higher today.

Waiting for the repairman now (who took care of the problem last year)....thank goodness the RV dealer contracts with an electrical man that makes house calls!
I'm beginning to think we got a lemon of an a/c....dh calling factory today. :x

SuiteWheels
07-06-2007, 02:52 PM
Well it's 108 here in central CA. and our second a/c just went out.....guess we will have to get a motel....right now I'd sale this DAMN Mobilsuite to the first by passer!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

rdunk
07-06-2007, 04:10 PM
Sorry about the a/c problems. This is certainly not the best time of the year to not have the cooling that you need. What happened to the 2nd unit?? I haven't seen that many people having problems with the Dometic a/c's.

While this wouldn't matter much right now, because it is hot, actually, it is not a "problem" with your Mobile Suite. Rather, it is a problem with the Dometic equipment, which is being used by all RV mfgrs. Sounds like you may need two new A/C's, from Dometic.

Good luck with getting this problem fixed quickly!!

jdwilson3
07-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Last August, our front AC (13500) departed...compressor siezed up. The unit was replaced under waranty. On June 16th, our first night our, the AC again quit...acted just like last time. We were able to get to an RV dealer in Pennsylvania when we got here...mechanic said the compressor was siezed...but this time, Dometic made him do a few additional checks, and it turned out the Capacitor was fried (hence the burnt smell). Took about 45 minutes to repair and test.

Knocking on wood here...our 15000 in the back has been flawless. We were able to knock down the heat and humidity with it and a desk fan on the floor, blowing cool air into the bedroom.

SuiteWheels
07-06-2007, 09:31 PM
jdwilson.....are you referring to the 13500 as being in the bedroom?

I think of the front unit as the living area and the back as the bedroom.

Repairman came and couldn't find anything wrong....no chemical smell like we had last night.....the bedroom unit (back to me) quit today because I had dryer going and it blew a circuit....that has been rendered.

D/H has started up front unit and it is running and cooling but we are both worried about the horrible smell that started up last night....it actually smelled like it could catch on fire.
I know it's a Dometic problem but it still po'd me...the heat was really getting to us and Kent wasn't very helpful when David called....told him to go through Dometic and of course, we can't do that until Monday. Now when this happened last year Tom told David to get a repairman from their list ...have it fixed and send him the bill.....we received payment back within two weeks. Kent had the attitude, he could care less if we burn up....as you can tell I'm not a happy camper right now. But thanks for your response and we are going to call repairman bacl in about an hr....he wants to know if that smells starts again.

sigo'suite
07-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Forest Gump said it best - "Stupid is as Stupid does !!!!!!!!!!!!"

maltruck8
07-07-2007, 06:57 AM
Low voltage can cause tripped breakers and overheated motors.

Motor31
07-07-2007, 08:17 AM
Suite wheels.

The burning smell sounds an awful lot like both times our main AC quit a couple months ago. The first time the capacitor fried and they tech repaired it under warranty. The second time the motor starter, a small little gadget that is about the size of a larger postage stamp and less than a 1/4" thick was what burned. They are located fairly close together and in each case when they fried it gave a very strong odor of burning insulation. The motor starter didn't quit at once. It started to burn then seemed to stabilize and the unit ran for a day then quit. The blower would run but the compressor just gave a loud hum.

In checking the amp draw after replacing the motor starter he found the compressor was drawing the max amps for a 90 degree outside temp. when it was only 70 degrees. Dometic, who had already replaced this same unit once last year didn't want to replace it before it blows for good. The one good factor is that the AC's have a 3 year warranty vs the 2 years that DT has for the rig.

SuiteWheels
07-07-2007, 11:00 AM
Forest Gump said it best - "Stupid is as Stupid does !!!!!!!!!!!!"

IF YOUR CALLING ME STUPID....YOUR JUST PLAIN RUDE....SORRY, that we are fairly new to this type of living and folks like you don't make it any easier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :evil:

jdwilson3
07-07-2007, 12:44 PM
The motor started is attached to the top of the Capacitor, and is used for what is called a "hard start". The motor started and capacitor were replaced at the same time on our latest malfunction. There is a family here where we are staying, and he carries a spare capacitor and motor starter with him....I will get one as soon as possible.

I refer to the bedroom AC as the front because it is at the front of the 5er as we are going down the road, and the living room is in the rear.

I can't see any reason to deal with Doubletree for items that are under warranty by someone else. IMHO, it is not a DT issue. When our front AC quit the first time, I called Tom, who had me contact an authorized Dometic repair tech. Now, if I have any issues, straight to the supplier.
When we had this current issue, the dealer (not a DT dealer) called Dometic, not DT, to obtain warranty authorization and parts.

hitchup
07-08-2007, 07:42 AM
Everytime we've had an equipment problem, DT sends us to the manufacturer. That's just how it works for warranty. You just have to learn which source to contact. :cry: