PDA

View Full Version : FYI: Hot switch for the halogen lights

2 DA WDS
07-01-2007, 10:14 PM
Our switch for the halogen track lights was getting warm so I swapped the wires on the 2 switches. It was still getting hot to the touch so today I replaced the 2 female connectors and after running the lights for 2 hours the switch was still cool to the touch.

Motor31
07-02-2007, 08:49 AM
You might want to check the connectors on the other switches there. I had to move a switch since the placement was rather odd. When I was moving the wires I found that 3 out of 4 crimp on connectors had not been fully compressed and the wires were loose. This is one of the causes for heat as arcing starts. It's also a dandy way to cause a fire.

2 DA WDS
07-02-2007, 09:50 AM
When I swapped the leads on the the switches the first time the connection on the florecent lights was so loose it came off when I unplugged it. Odd that it didn't heat up. The halogen connection was tight but apparently not making a good connection. Could have been crimped on the insulation??

RonS
07-02-2007, 10:16 AM
Mine did the same, when dealer replaced switch he said it was not wired correctly. I dont know what he did but its not hot anymore. So like they have said above, if the switch is hot, check your connections.