PDA

View Full Version : WATER FILTER

WildJohn
06-27-2007, 08:47 PM
I have the original equipment water filter that I am told is made by Shurflo. I am looking for a replacement O-Ring (about 4" D). I went to every place locally that I could think of trying to find one.. RV, Residential, commercial, Automotive, to no avail... VERY few even close but none were acceptable. My dealer says they have ordered a new filter system and will pull out the o-ring for me. . . when I next get in the local area. I would like to change the filter but I am afraid the NEXT time I disassemble the thing it will not seal again.
Ok I will fess up.. some dummy changed it one time in the failing light of evening and the o-ring fell out... the ring groove was not noted on one half so it was kinda stretched on the wrong half... now it is a little too big for the groove... I really don't know how it is sealing now.
If anyone has suggestions let me know
thanks.
happy camping
(all the time)

rotaxman
06-27-2007, 08:53 PM
John

You might do a search on the site that very thing was discussed some time ago and it seems that someone said Lowes had a replacement filter element but I'm not to sure about the O ring.

As always good camping

Joyce and Jerry

rdunk
06-27-2007, 09:34 PM
My dealer said that the only way to get an o-ring that size was to buy a Shurflow filter, that comes with an o-ring. I haven't done that, because Shurflow filters are not readily available. I plan to replace the Shurflow filter to get away from the stupid Shurflow o-ring problem.

The Shurflow filter doesn't seem to be any better than most standard "whole house" filters, that can be bought most anywhere that sells general household products.

Okie
06-27-2007, 09:40 PM
I had the same problem with the "O" ring fitting after I took it apart. It looks like it is too big to fit and almost impossible to get on straight. I found "O" ring replacements at Ace Harware and got some silicone grease to hold the "O" ring in place. I tried the grease on the original ring and I am still using it today. I now have a couple of spare rings stored. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Okie on the road

Jim Keefer
06-27-2007, 09:52 PM
John,

I had the same problem with the O Ring being too big.. I reused the O Ring by using some vaseline in the groove, this allowed the O Ring to seat and stay until I tightened the housing back up..
:lol:
I also found a replacement O Ring at Ace hardware, but must admit that I haven't tried it yet.. It looks to be the same size.. A Culligan replacement O Ring # OR-34..

Jim

WildJohn
06-28-2007, 06:57 AM
I'll try again but I took the housing to Ace, Lowes, HomeDepot, WallyWorld, A local Culligan Dealer, A RV/Mobile Home supply store, Farm/Fleet, No luck.. It measured out to be what seemed to be a standard size.. I guess not. I would have been afraid of the Vaseline because if it is natural rubber the petroleum jelly would break it down.. food grade silicone would be a good choice. Perhaps I did not cause my own problem after all.. I will try to find the culligan #OR-34. Maybe I will just get another brand of filter and install it... eliminate the problem at the source. And from what I have been reading maybe set it up in parallel if I can find an O-Ring as per another post here to increase water flow, which could use some improvement. But then that might eliminate the excitement of taking a shower.. no we still have the EASILY maladjusted valves to thrill. Thanks for the help folks.
Happy Camping
all the time
John

ponch
06-28-2007, 07:01 AM
wildjohn

Put the old o ring in the freezer and it wil go back to its original size and go right into place. Been there and done that. lol :lol:

Ponch

Motor31
06-28-2007, 07:14 AM
I got a couple O rings by e-mailing the manufacturer, shurflo. The person who responded sent me a couple and told me they are planning to have them set as replacement parts that can be ordered or purchased through RV supply houses in the future. No date or indication of how far in the future that will be. I'm going to try and match the O ring at a hardware store soon so I can find a "local" source instead of the factory.

Water filters are an easy find. I get them at wallyworld in the water filter section. They same place as the britta filter area. It's a universal filter size. They are the charcoal impregnated ones and come 2 to a pack for $10.00. They flow 5 GPM and are good for 3 months / 15,000 gallons depending on water quality. They do a good job at making lousy tasting water taste good

bstark
06-28-2007, 08:40 AM
Which brings me to ask the same question I ask all of the hardware staff at the big stores: why don't they include a spare "O" ring in the multiple cartridge replacement packages, when you're paying for 3 or 4 cartridges at a time, couldn't they throw in a lousy "O" ring?? :lol:

Rant over!

RonS
06-28-2007, 09:26 AM
My O ring was also too big, just cut a piece out and put it back in. Worked until I got replacements at Ace Hardware.

2 DA WDS
06-28-2007, 12:53 PM
Doesnt anybody just use the filter that screws on the end of the hose.

ponch
06-28-2007, 01:42 PM
Yes I do. In addition to the onboard one.

Ponch

WildJohn
06-28-2007, 04:00 PM
In my search I found there are at LEAST 10 different sizes of o-rings on water filters. so when you buy a multipac of filters I guess they could throw in a couple of dozen o-rings so you will have the right size... crazy that the filters are universal but the o-rings are proprietary... ya gotta love it.
cut the oring and it worked fine ???? OOOKKKK I will try the freezer trick.. worth a try.. and email shurflo.
Happy Camping,
all the time
John

Gunship Guy
06-28-2007, 04:26 PM
I buy replacement filters at Wal Mart. Two pack for under $10.

I found the o-ring goes back in very easily by removing the upper filter housing from the frame(after lower filter housing has been removed), turning it upside down, and laying the o-ring back in place. Then just install the filter and lower filter housing while the upper housing is still upside down. You don't need to fully tighten the lower housing until you bolt the whole thing back onto the frame.

I have replaced the filter 4 times using this method and still have the original o-ring. No leaks.

billr
06-28-2007, 04:53 PM
Not any help for those with the on-board filters, we don't have one, we do have a Whole house single filter unit I picked up at sears about 10 years ago that has the original oring. Never comes out when changing (so far???)

Just in case anyone is looking for an exterior filter unit. It works very well.

Buy my replacement filters from RVFilterstore on line.

Cheers,
Bill

Motor31
06-29-2007, 08:47 AM
I also have the little blue inline filter but only use it in places like Indiana where the water comes out of the RV park tap a brown color. :shock:

The rest of the time we just use the inhouse filter.