PDA

View Full Version : Slideout awnings seperations

dlott84040
05-03-2007, 10:10 PM
I have a 2004 TK3 with 3 slideouts with awnings that have splits on the edge of the awnings seams. They are small now but am worried about how to repair or do I have to replace. This is happening on two of the three slides. Also I didn't get all the factory info on the rig when we bought it used and can't find out how to manually extend/retract the slideouts if we had to. Any help would be appreciated. Doug

clarkandsheila
02-15-2008, 08:01 AM
This may be too late to help you, but maybe someone else. At marine supplies stores, West Marine is one, there is a product called Rip Stop Tape for sails. I've not tried it for awnings but it might be worth a look .

igotjam
02-15-2008, 03:48 PM
Agree with tape. About a month after we got our trailer the awnings started to rip close to where they attach to the trailer. (about 1 " tear about 1" from trailer mounting). I used RV awning tape to hold the tear together....8 months later...still good.

igotjam
02-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Agree with tape. About a month after we got our trailer the awnings started to rip close to where they attach to the trailer. (about 1 " tear about 1" from trailer mounting). I used RV awning tape to hold the tear together....8 months later...still good.

Stripit
02-15-2008, 07:54 PM
We also have the same issues going on with our slide out toppers. I used a special tape for that repair, but I will need to replace all of them this summer. The tape doesn't totally stop the problem, just slows down the tearing.
As far as the slides go, there is no easy way to pull them in or out if you loose power, or a motor/gearbox. Under the trailer in the bottom covering, you will find 4 trap doors, screwed up with small screws. Drop those doors down, remove the insulation, and get yourself wedged up inside. You will see the gears that move the slide, and you will see the bar that connects the two gears. Remove the bolts that hold that bar, and you will be able to push by hand, the slide. You might need 3 or 4 other folks to help, but you can move it. Yes, I know because I've had both dining room and kitchen gear boxes fail. Not a terribly hard job, but once you've done one, they get a lot easier!!