PDA

View Full Version : "Stoppin' at the Scales"

Mikey
04-23-2007, 02:54 PM
Are there any states or provinces that require Rv'ers to stop at scales?

In Ontario I'm told that my 2008 F450 will be classified as a commercial truck - neaning "paying by the pound" for the truck license. As to further "rub salt into the wound", I have to include the weight of our '07 MS36TK3. In addition I will have to keep a daily Driver's Log,and have a yearly truck inspection, etc., etc.

All the more reason to move to Alberta!

sigo'suite
04-23-2007, 07:38 PM
Better yet, move to the U.SA.!! :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Mikey
04-23-2007, 08:38 PM
Oh, we could REALLY hijack this thread!
But, another time :!: :D

2 DA WDS
04-23-2007, 10:50 PM
A law enforcement friend got it from another person that they were going to start cracking down on all duallys here in Illinois. I think all it would result in is buying a commercial plate and get it inspected. That was a year ago and we hav'nt seen anything yet.
By golly, if they do I'm moving to Alberta too, no wait a minute was that Alberta Mexico? It too cold in Alberta Canada. :shock:
Canadians and New Yorkers both say EH! the only difference is the Canadian says "Nice jacket, EH!"
The New Yorker says "EH, nice jacket!" :lol:

rverdlm
04-24-2007, 08:13 AM
Go to the SKP forum and look at the HDT section. This issue has been discussed there. I know there are some with HDTs that are from ONT. I don't think they are required to meet commercial requirements. If you ask the question there I'm sure you'll get the answer.

jack_diane_freedom
04-25-2007, 07:18 AM
Mikey, make sure you check this out directly with MOT. I have the same Mobile Suites as you but tow it with a Silverado that is also classed as a commercial vehicle. I still pay only normal commercial plates but do require the annual truck inspection but NO Log Book. You will also need a Class A license to tow the Moby.

Jack

Motor31
04-25-2007, 08:40 AM
I can't comment on Canadian regs, sorry.

As far as US regs are concerned, if your truck is registered as a commercial truck you must stop at the scales.

To date I have not seen any scale signs indicating RV's must stop. That does not mean a commercial truck pulling an RV is exempt, the tow vehicle must not be registered as commercial. If the tow vehicle is registered as a non commercial truck and the sign says all trucks must stop then you must stop. It's the same when your tow vehicle, again registered as a truck, has a GVW of over 26,000 lbs. or the sign lists a range of GVW's that includes your truck's weight.

The only time I have had any DOT person do anything but wave us through a scale was in AZ. and the supervisor corrected the inspector before I got the paperwork out. It's pretty obvious that the RV folks will not be in excess of 80,000 lbs GCVW so the scale is pretty superfluous.

rverdlm
04-25-2007, 07:27 PM
Mike, I must disagree! All trucks (pickups) in some state are licensed as commercial. (NY comes to mind). I don't think any states really want RVers in the scales. In MD the sign says all vehicles over 10,000 lbs must stop. However if you stop they get annoyed because the scales are already over crowded. I don't stop and if they chase me I'll try to explain. I don't know of any RVer that has been chased down while towing his trailer. All RVers will do in scales is tie them up because we don't know what we are doing. If RVers think the truckers hate us now think what it will be when we start holding them up at the scales.

billr
04-25-2007, 10:33 PM
Never have stopped at any scales in Canada or the US. Never had any request to do so, or ran into anyone in my travels that has. I'm sure some have, just don't know any.

I also agree that many pickup trucks are registered commercial, and are not expected to stop at scales.

So I just keep my head down and tow away! Were just Campin!! (in really nice campers) :lol: :lol:

Cheers,
Bill

RodeWorthy
04-26-2007, 10:04 AM
Mikey, check your PM's.