PDA

View Full Version : The MS is dead.

2 DA WDS
04-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Got woke up this am by the local police. Our 05 Re3 at our private campground burned this morning. Total loss, shed and gazebo damaged. Nobody hurt. If it was because of a defect I'll post it. Only had the fridge on.
http://news.webshots.com/album/558752136uRciVn

larry_electricguy
04-21-2007, 11:29 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss. Glad no one was hurt. So close to rally time .

Larry & Betty

rotaxman
04-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Tom and Cheryl

Sorry to hear about your fire. Best thing though is no one is hurt.

Joyce and Jerry

cptxguys
04-21-2007, 12:38 PM
What a bummer. So sorry to hear of your loss. Hopefully everything will work out for you as best as you can expect.

If only the frige was on, it makes me wonder if it could be because of a faulty Dometic refrigerator (like the ones recently recalled).

Not that I wish this on anyone, but thanks for sharing the pics.

BobW
04-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Great photos. Glad to see it wasn't a total loss. Finally we can see what is inside of the DH is made of. :? Too bad, hope you had insurance.

Hobo
04-21-2007, 02:08 PM
Sorry to hear. That is something none of us like to see or hear of. I have been though fires before and the hard part now will be trying to remember everything that was in it. If you had the refrig on gas there is a good possibility that's the cause.
Yes please keep us posted as to your findings and how your making out.

billr
04-21-2007, 02:51 PM
Tom and Cheryl,

So sorry for your misfortune. Glad no one was hurt. I hope your insurance company takes good care of you.

We all will be interested in what was the cause if they are able to determine it. Very interesting pics, thanks!

Take care and here's hoping you success in getting a replacement unit soon. We would really miss you guys at Branson if you can't make it.

Bill and Joan

KSRVER
04-21-2007, 04:09 PM
So sorry about your 5th wheel, glad to hear no one was hurt.
The pictures were something else!!!!.
As others have said we will be interested to find out the cause.

bstark
04-21-2007, 05:17 PM
Fortunately the trailer can be replaced but all those memories and personal items, our hearts go out to you.

I still enjoy seeing these things go by on the highway and to see one reduced to rubble sure is a sobering experience.

Best wishes for a relatively painless resolution.

Motor31
04-22-2007, 08:48 AM
I'm so sorry you had a loss like that. I hope the insurance company comes forward and replaces, at least monetarily, the unit for you. I know you can't replace the pix and memories from it. I'm VERY glad you were not in it at the time of the fire!

I'm also glad and I bet your neighbors are as well that your propane tanks didn't explode!

It certainly looks like the fire was burning longest in the area close to the fridge as that is the portion of the trailer with the most destruction. I would have expected a fire due to a short in the converter to burn the door area more than the appliance side. I recall from a fire safety RV seminar that most RV fires are the result of a 12 volt electrical problem rather than a 120 volt issue.

Did you have the water heater on propane or electric at the time? On the RE3 the water heater is very close to the fridge area. I'm assuming you had the unit on shore power and the fridge on AC rather than propane.

2 DA WDS
04-23-2007, 12:27 PM
Motor31,
We only had the refridgerator on and at the time of the fire the power was out at the campground so it was running on propane. I presume the tanks didnt explode because they were both open and just acted like big blowtorches.

suitediver
04-23-2007, 03:10 PM
Sorry for your loss. Thankful no one was inside. You are in our prayers.
Bobbie and Bill

Motor31
04-24-2007, 08:52 AM
Tom,

That pretty much narrows the situation down to 12 volt system and propane, possibly a leak that caught when the fridge cycled or you did indeen have a fridge fire from what prompted the recall. Was your fridge in the recall number range? Mine, also an RE3 but from late 05 was outside of the recall serial number range.

2 DA WDS
04-24-2007, 11:07 AM
Mike,
I read the recall and thought double door meant side by side so I never checked. :oops: Now I'm going to have to find out from my dealer or the factory what it was. Mine was completed in Dec. 04 but the wheels were outside of the recall range too but that didnt stop one from coming apart. :x We'll just have to see what shakes out.

rotaxman
04-24-2007, 04:59 PM
Dometic finally has a recall out in this months Trailer Life

As always good camping

Joyce and Jerry

Okie
04-24-2007, 05:00 PM
Tom,
I am realy sick about what happened to your RE3. It seems obvious to me that the fridge caused the problem. I talked to my dealer today about the fridges and he said pople were bringing in their units on a recall from Dometic. They had been notified. I don't know if you had to send in your registration forms to be notified but I would think you would. I hope you did. I did but I still checked my numbers twice and had my dealer check them again today and they are outside the numbers. I wonder if that means they are really clear. I hope everything works out for you and you end up on top of this.

Okie

jdwilson3
04-24-2007, 06:19 PM
Okie (and others) Remove the outside panel to the 'fridge. Look to the left side (usually) and you should see some tin shields installed. That is what is being added in the recall. The earlier units did not have the shields. This was pointed out to me by a Certified RV Tech.

wingnut60
04-26-2007, 08:13 AM
Friend of mine with a Sunnybrook had the recall fix done--it involves mod to the electric element in the burner stack and a large metal shield (about 10" high x 8" wide) that covers the propane burner area from the bottom of the burner stack upward. Camping World is complaining that the Dometic work involves longer times than they are being reimbursed for. It appears there is now an electric 'reset' button in the electric heater element, also.

sigo'suite
04-26-2007, 08:32 AM
wingnut check ur pm's.

wingnut60
04-26-2007, 09:52 AM
Ron,
Answered by email.
Joe

RustyJC
04-27-2007, 06:16 PM
Sandy and I are really sorry to hear about the loss of your RE3. I hope the insurance settlement goes smoothly and quickly.

We have one of the Dometic units on the recall list. The bad news is that we went out this morning to hitch up and head for Austin and found the fridge and freezer warm and everything in it ruined. The good news is that it was running on 120VAC and the 5th wheel didn't burn.

I tried running it on propane, but still no cooling - apparently it has lost its charge. We have an appointment with our selling dealer to bring the 5th wheel in on May 8th. It'll be interesting to see what Dometic does about replacing the cooling unit at no charge if it's cracked.

Rusty

2 DA WDS
04-28-2007, 12:50 AM
The Insurance Adjuster and Engineer are pretty sure that the Fridge started the fire and have notified Dometic. Dometic is sending an inspector. I have decided that we will not run the Fridge on the new unit on anythin but electric. Cant hurt and will feel safer.

hitchup
04-28-2007, 07:06 AM
I have decided that we will not run the Fridge on the new unit on anythin but electric. Cant hurt and will feel safer.

Difference between keeping your Suite safe & losing a few dollars worth of food. Wise choice.

So everyone's now curious about the replacement: New or Used

RustyJC
04-28-2007, 07:53 AM
We have one of the Dometic units on the recall list. The bad news is that we went out this morning to hitch up and head for Austin and found the fridge and freezer warm and everything in it ruined. The good news is that it was running on 120VAC and the 5th wheel didn't burn.
Actually, this is in question. Although our model number is indeed on the recall list, our serial number (405XXXXX) is higher than any shown on the lists I've seen. Nevertheless, our dealer checked with Dometic who said that it was covered by the recall. This should be interesting! My point is that even the newer fridges appear to have problems - we'll await the diagnosis to see if the cooling unit has a cracked boiler and/or tube and dumped its charge.

Rusty

2 DA WDS
04-28-2007, 11:56 PM
Hitchup,
Used, Pre Owned, Previosly Loved, Road Tested, New to US. Had some good offers from dealers on new ones but this one caught our eye indirectly because of Bonnie.

2005 Doubletree MobileSuite RE3 w/3 Slides
Description: Luxury suite in excellent condition, 3 slide-outs w/toppers, 16' Weather Pro automatic awning w/weather sensor, 2 leather recliners, hide-a-bed sofa w/end tables, 2 TV's DVD VCR AM/FM surround sound, golden plum color, corian countertops, GE convection/microwave, 12cu.ft.refer w/icemaker, 2 AC's w/heat pump, lighted pantries, 12gal.dsi/elec.water heater, coffee maker, central vac, fireplace, king pillow-top bed w/elec.lift, shower skylight, blow-dryer, day-night shades, washer/dryer combo hookups, built-in clothes hamper, ceiling fan. MUST SEE! 5yr extended warranty & financing available.

MattM
04-29-2007, 11:08 AM
Okie (and others) Remove the outside panel to the 'fridge. Look to the left side (usually) and you should see some tin shields installed. That is what is being added in the recall. The earlier units did not have the shields. This was pointed out to me by a Certified RV Tech.

JD,

Any chance you could post some pictures of these just so I'm clear on what I am looking at or for?

Thanks
Matt M

jdwilson3
04-29-2007, 03:11 PM
I can try, but I will confess, I really am terrible at getting pictures from my camera and resizing them so they are not 7 million megabits!!

I will try to describe in words, then go try the pix.

1. Remove the outside vent panel.
2. Depending of the model: Look to the left or right, and there will be what looks like a galvanized flue, and some galvanized covers at the bottom area of the flue.
3. There will also be a wired temperature sensor in the "flue".

If you don't have this "stuff", then you need the recall.

I will try to get the pix out in a few minutes!

Okie
04-29-2007, 10:03 PM
Tom,
It sounds like you are talking about my unit, didn't mention the generator but sorry it's not for sale. By the way did you check to see if you could get the upside down fish finder for the roof?

Okie

2 DA WDS
04-30-2007, 11:21 PM
Okie, close, its unit #1646
BTW whats an upside down fish finder?

Mogolfers
05-01-2007, 06:48 AM
I'm just glad you found one and you are on your way to the rally! :P

Okie
05-01-2007, 08:29 AM
That fish sinder was what you were looking for to detect low branches and such from the roof of the unit so you wouldn't hit them. Remember?

Okie

2 DA WDS
05-01-2007, 11:11 AM
AHA, the back up sensors to put on the roof.

We have Linear Waterfoul and are ready to head to New Jersey tomorrow.

jdwilson3
05-03-2007, 09:27 PM
Here are before and afer pix of the recall.....

These were taken in an Alpenlite 5er. But, you get the idea.

Motor31
05-04-2007, 09:41 AM
Hey Top,

The second picture matches what I have on my later build unit's fridge. The photo makes the mod pretty obvious. Thanks.

billr
05-04-2007, 06:24 PM
OK, I have a question, the fridge the dealer just installed in our trailer, which has a date code of 25th week 2005 ( was to be a new fridge, not)

Looks just like the first picture in the previous post, not the one with the large sheet metal cover??

Is anyone else have a later year fridge that looks like the first pic?

Bill

bstark
05-04-2007, 06:38 PM
Bill:

Just got the recall letter from Dometic in the mail today and it gave the model and serial number info (also available at www.dometicusa.com )along with instructions on how to turn off the gas flow to fridge right at the valve in the event the fridge is in the recall list. The top photo shows a small slotted head adjustment screw on the body of the gas valve (valve is hidden behind sheet metal mod in second photo) and the slot is currently in line with the gas flow which is ON. Turning that screw 90 degrees so that the slot is perpendicular shuts OFF the gas flow. They caution to do this if your fridge is one of the affected series in the unlikely event that "someone" may inadvertantly turn the fridge on by mistake.

Ours looks just like the top photo (prior to mods) but is also NOT in the categories listed. I guess we could do the mod ourselves to be doubly sure that a meltdown wouldn't set fire to the plastic outer access door.

billr
05-04-2007, 06:52 PM
Thanks Bruce. I also checked on the Dometic recall website with the Model/S/N and it said not affected too.

That makes me wonder if our fridges aren't affected, why don't we have the shroud? I agree, one would be easy to fabricate, would just need to see one in person to sort it out.

Cheers,
Bill

bstark
05-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Bill:
The damn things are distributed out of Cambridge On. just down the road from us. I'm thinking to call over there to see if they may sell the kit over the counter. I may use the "embarrasment factor" tool to counter any of that usual "sorry we only wholesale to dealers" crap.

47hook
05-04-2007, 10:29 PM
Here's a perfect case of "DT QC". They mistakenly bought frigs from one of the world's largest manufacturer's of RV fridges. :shock:

This just fits in with another of my posts. Basically, stuff happens. If it happens too often, the folks that make it happen will be gone, gone, gone! (Dometic)

By the way, we need an Emoticon that is "tongue in cheek"! :wink:

47hook
05-04-2007, 10:38 PM
For the record, I'd much rather be associated with a bunch of folks that speak their minds then ignore stuff. I've got enuff stuff I ignore in my garage!!! Wants some? :wink:

bstark
05-04-2007, 10:57 PM
47hook: I hear ya! This thing of quality control can be looked at from another angle as well. The more complex things are the more they cause problems. Consumer reports show that Mercedes and Jaguars are the most repair prone vehicles out there but people still buy em. the only thing I've owned that never needed some "adjustment" has been a mousetrap.

I take a perverse pride in the fact that I fix most stuff myself (career tradseperson) and (dare I say it) I enjoy doing it! Oh, Oh, no lineups please!

2 DA WDS
05-05-2007, 11:17 PM
Well we have just returned from our trip to New Jersey with our replacement RE3 that I think we will name 'The Phoenix'. It is very nice as were the couple bought it from. After a $500 shopping spree at Camping World and a $450 one at Wally World I think we are ready for the upcoming national rally.

And Bruce, my wife says I dont have any outside interests or hobbys. She dosent count 'tinkering & puttering', those are the things I like the most. Would you trade some of whats in your garage for whats behind door #2. :D

See you all at Branson!!!!!

billr
05-05-2007, 11:37 PM
That's great Tom and Cheryl! Glad you are set to go. We look forward to meeting up with you guys again.

$500 at CW, that must have just been the first trip! :lol:

Cheers,
Bill

Motor31
05-06-2007, 08:48 AM
Tom and Cheryl,

Glad to hear you have a rig again. Best wishes for many happy miles.

bstark
05-06-2007, 09:21 PM
Tom and Cheryl: That's great news. Now, this is meant to put a smile on your face so please picture me with my tongue in my cheek: Did you check the fridge to see if it's on the recall list :P Haaaar!!

bstark
05-06-2007, 09:22 PM
Tom and Cheryl: That's great news. Now, this is meant to put a smile on your face so please picture me with my tongue in my cheek: Did you check the fridge to see if it's on the recall list :P Haaaar!!

2 DA WDS
05-06-2007, 11:19 PM
No tongue in cheek B! 1. the model and SN are NOT in the range and 2. I have it running but the gas tanks are shut OFF. It will only ever run on gas if the power goes off while we are in it. The days of leaving the gas valves open all season are long gone.

bstark
05-07-2007, 09:25 AM
Tom: Certainly a reasonable and understandable precaution considering what you've just gone through!