PDA

View Full Version : Wheel balance, entry steps and W/D- 3 questions

47hook
04-14-2007, 04:37 PM
Just dropped off my Alfa 5th wheel at the dealer we have ordered our MS 36TK3 from so he can get a head start in selling it. Our MS (#3787, if I understand the VIN #) is due in about 2-3 weeks. As I was getting ready to show the salesman my Alfa, he remarked on the electric entrance steps as a nice touch. I then looked at the MS's on his lot and noticed none had them.

Checking out the spacing between the tires to see if my Rotochok's would work (no, need to be modified for wider spaced wheels) I noticed that the wheels aren't balanced, like my Alfa's were.

We were going to swap our Kenmore stacked W/D from the Alfa to the MS, when the salesman suggested getting a new unit; DW thought that was a good idea, and so do I. We would prefer the units that DT puts in at the factory, the 2 seperate units with the roll out washer and dryer on a shelf.

Questions:
1. Has anybody changed the manual entry steps for electric fold down steps?

2. Anybody balanced their wheels?

3. Model #'s for the factory installed 2 unit W/D?

Any comments in these areas are welcomed. Thanks.

ChrisM
04-14-2007, 09:45 PM
I haven't seen anyone with electric steps on their MS yet, but I don't see how it would be a problem to do so. There is alot of frame exposed in that area so you could add whatever bracing you would need, and the fuse box is right inside the door so wiring wouldn't be an issue either.

As far as wheel balancing goes, does it have steel or aluminum wheels? If they are aluminum the weights are probably the stick on kind, but they are applied behind the wheel where you may not be able to see them.

hitchup
04-15-2007, 08:31 AM
Sears Kenmore units:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/search.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&keyword=compact&vertical=APPL&cat=Washers+%26+Dryers

If link fails. Look at http://www.sears.com

Put compact under search word & choose appliances. Then pick washer/dryers.

47hook
04-15-2007, 10:14 PM
hitchup, thanks for the link. Had looked at Sears and didn't find them. I find it interesting that there were 165 views on this post and only 2 replies.

Hobo
04-16-2007, 12:33 AM
Most people don't have the wheels balanced or don't know if they are so don't post.

I have never seen electric steps on a TT or 5th wheeler so could not help there.

I do have the Kenmore W/D but not factory installed and they are from my last trailer so I don't think my model # would be any good.

So don't think you were being snubbed, their a good bunch here and I'm sure all welcome another MS owner. In fact they would welcome you even if you don't own a DT.

Welcome aboard,
Rick

47hook
04-16-2007, 01:28 PM
I must apologize. On the second reading of my remarks of 165 views and 2 replies: I didn't mean to imply I was being snubbed, but I was amazed at the number of views and did think it interesting the comparison of number of replies. I must confess, that I view more than I reply. Perhaps I need to reply more often!

I guess you can say that I am pleasantly impressed/amazed with the number of DoubleTree owners who do post/view and those that may not yet be owners but are interested in the make.

Thanks again.

billr
04-16-2007, 03:38 PM
47Hook,

Congrates on the MS purchase, I'm sure you will enjoy it!

Ref the wheel balancing, I don't believe any of the MS wheels are balanced out of the factory. Our's weren't. I asked our dealer to do them when we had it in for warranty work.

I think it is a good idea to have them done. Anything to help keep the vibrations down and increase tire life is good, even if it's only marginal.

Cheers,
Bill

rverdlm
04-17-2007, 07:39 AM
One of the problems in balancing trailer wheels is that they don't center on the center hole but rather on the lug bolts. All the wheel balancing machines center the wheel on the center hole. If that center hole is off from the bolt pattern by just a small amount you could do more harm than good. IMHO it would be better to use the stuff that most truckers use. It goes inside the tire. There are also devices that go on the lug bolts behind the wheel. I have these on the front wheels of my truck. They are very effective.

jdwilson3
04-17-2007, 10:58 AM
The product we use in our International is EQUAL. I had it in when we had a front tire blowout at 65 MPH. The EQUAL kept the tire from vibrating, to the point that all I knew was I had a blowout, I did not know it was a front tire!!