PDA

View Full Version : 36SB3 sise by side washer/dryer

shergry
04-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Just a question for those people that are currently using washer/dryers. In the 36SB3 the only options are either combo or side by side washer/dryer. Have been looking hard at LG Combo, ever used one? Or what is the best for a side by side? Wud really like to get out of laundromat! Thanks for YO.

SuiteWheels
04-02-2007, 02:31 PM
shergry, I have not heard of a side by side in a MS....I have the Kenmore stackables and use all the time. We have only had one time that water poured out like a river and hubby told me I had overloaded....I can put my King size sheets in but do not add anything else from now on and no problems. Really love the convenience of having my own washer/dryer.

shergry
04-02-2007, 02:42 PM
Hey thanks for replying. The only thing that I can say about a side by side is that is is like having 2 seperate machines. On a traditional stackable they are totally connected, have heard some talk about Kenmore and such...I looked on internet for these models and they are showing a traditional (apartment type) model. I think I read your story of water fall :D , it sure was good reading, I hope that I only read about these kinds of stories :wink: . Thanks again for the reply. Happy Camping :lol: .

DebDav
04-02-2007, 03:24 PM
We have a 36SB3. We installed a Maytag side by side W/D. I had an electrician provide a 240 VAC circuit for the dryer.

It is the best thing about 5th wheel living! She (we) have many quarters available for other things. We can run a load anytime and with 240V the clothes dry very fast.

The 240 VAC circuit was installed in the main plug compartment. A new cable was secured under the trailer and snaked through the battery compartment, up under the bed and into the W/D area. A plug is surface mounted behind the dryer. I can use either a 120 VAC or 240 VAC dryer.

shergry
04-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Well Hey now we are talking!!! That sound great, DH is a wiz at electronics and love to fix things :o . No really this will help, the cost of the machines is less too? Thanks for the details on how to wire up. Hey also saw where u were talking about pump...we had the great dealer fill the fresh tank and then put the winterizing tube in the belly. Well once the water was drained from the tank, the valve was left on the winterizing and so we had a belly full of water. Went back to dealer and all was dried out and so far HAPPY :D . There are so many valves, buttons, and switches I get a headache just looking at them all.
We do LOVE the space :shock:. Can u tell I am having a blast with the emoticons, sorry if offend :) . Thanks again for help, Happy Camping fellow SB.

hitchup
04-02-2007, 04:51 PM
We have the factory installed Kenmore. They are stacked, but are two separate units. The washer comes out on a roller. In your SB, it wouldn't need the roller mechanism.

The 110/120v dryer does take longer than a residential, but it's still much faster than the Majestic front loading units we had in the previous 5er. Plus, I'm not in a big hurry to fold clothes anywhooo.

As fulltimers, there's just no way we would be without. We are in a 30amp space now & I can still use the w/d. Thank goodness! 8)

RodeWorthy
04-02-2007, 07:13 PM
If you are considering moving outside the offerings that Doubletree has listed (DT likes the Nationwide service availability of the Kenmore products -good point) you might want to consider a front loader washer. The front loader will use less water and will spin the clothes to almost dry giving the 120V dryer a head start to complete the dry cycle.

Whirlpool has a matching set that is used in many RVs. It can be adapted to a M/E Suite.

Washer model is LHW0050PQ4, 120V 12 A. Max load is 15.4 lb
Dryer model is LBR3822PQ1, 120V 12 A.

If you do go this route, be aware you must use special detergent for front loader washers.

Rodeworthy

shergry
04-02-2007, 07:19 PM
Ok, great point, and thank you for the info. The other question that DH has is the vented and ventless dryer. Regardless of time to dry, which is better. Less wrinkles, less energy (when in a park for a month u know that some $ for kw.). Thank you all, great into. :D

westx
04-02-2007, 08:21 PM
RodeWorthy the Whirlpool washer and dryer is what we have. Lowe's special ordered and installed.

When we purchased our 2003 we did not have plumbed for w/d. After going full time in Sept. 2006 my husband plumbed and wired himself. He built a shelf in closet to put the dryer on. Front load washers do use less water and spin very dry taking less time dry.

The laundry soap recommended is HE(high efficiency) and has a front load washer on front. Several brands make it.

I love my washer/dryer.

RodeWorthy
04-03-2007, 01:21 PM
Westx,
Thanks for the vote of confidence in the Whirlpool washer and dryer. That will be our choice too as we move ahead with our order. I don't take credit for finding these models -that would go to AKline and she also likes hers. I have seen them in other RVs since and they look very good.

Did your husband have any issues with installing the dryer vent into the wall? I have to think about that a bit before I take a saw to it :P

Thanks for the clarification on the HE detergent.

Rodeworthy

westx
04-03-2007, 06:34 PM
RodeWorthy:

Westx is a perfectionist when doing anything. I do not interfer when he is working because I know he is doing it right. He got a 4" hole saw. You know the saying measure twice and cut once. Well I think he measured 100 times and cut once. It looks like it came on the trailer. Every MS he saw he asked if they had w/d. He looked at lots of trailers and our friends who have MS took pictures, etc. That is all he had to go by. But he is not for hire!

jdwilson3
04-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Absolutely get the VENTED. Clothes dry faster in a vented unit.

shergry
04-04-2007, 08:16 AM
Hey I agree that clothes dry faster in a vented unit, but what about the cost to run the dryer? $ per kw can go as high as 0.18, yeah I know that does not sound like much but can add up with a/c, lights, fan and then w/d. Just trying to be as cost effective as possible. :D
DH is game for anything, also when you cut a vent for dryer, what kind of vent is used? Had thot about the vent like the oven uses (exhaust fan). Again thank you all for the replies, big purchase, big decision. :)

DebDav
04-04-2007, 07:55 PM
I went to the big box (Home Depot) and purchased a residential dryer vent kit and a tube of silicone caulk. I had to trim the tube to fit length wise. The hole cutting was a snap - measure twice, etc. Four screws and caulk top and sides.

I located the vent high on the wall. It is just below the top of the dryer. Made it easy to connect the dryer hose and tighten the clamp.

Done! Works great. Dryer sheet smell when operation!! Lots of envious neighbors.

shergry
04-05-2007, 10:12 AM
Looks like I know were I am going this weekend. :D Also, I am one of those envyious neighbors that smells all those dryer sheets, isn't that like smelling chocolate chip cookies baking :lol:

Motor31
04-07-2007, 09:25 AM
I imagine that chocolate chip cookies aren't nearly as chewy as drier sheets.......... :P

Wife of Big Doofus
04-11-2007, 10:34 PM
We are going to go ahead & let the dealer install the Kenmore units in our 36SB3 before we pick it up. We were set to pick it up yesterday but the w/d hasn't arrived. Hope they get them in soon! They were supposed to have ordered them last Wednesday, but they say they (the dealership) say they haven't heard when they will get them. They said they called the factory & the factory gets Sears to send them. Anyone know how long it should take for them to receive them once ordered?

shergry
04-12-2007, 09:53 AM
I went on DT site and saw what they feel is appropriate for a side X side. I could get that particular units for 1/2 the cost our dealership wanted....$1.500. I would rather spend precious quarters then spend that kind of $$. So I would look at all the threads and if you can wait a few days look into Home Depot, Lowes, Sears , etc yourself. We are very glad we waited to get what we wanted. :)

DebDav
04-12-2007, 10:12 AM
I bought my Maytag side by side units at Home Depot when they went on clearance due to low sales activity. Paid $780.00 for both units.

Got them home and installed dryer by myself. Washer is a little heavier. The lawn cutting crew was enlisted to assist. Cost a $20.00 bill to lift and shoehorn the washer.

Best thing we have installed. Yes, quarter machines would be less expensive but,

1. MY dirt - no grease from others that do not care.

2. Can wash anytime and in our home.

3. Adjustable heat and time - clothes last longer, look better.

Again, SHE appreciates the effort.

Wife of Big Doofus
04-16-2007, 08:32 PM
I guess I am going to wait on the w/d installation. The dealer found out this week that it will be another 2-3 weeks before they would receive them. We are about 400 miles away & I want to go pick up my MS ASAP so I just cancelled my order.

This will give me more time to look around & read up on the different brands. Then I'll just have to get "Big Doofus" to install them for me.

berghild
04-17-2007, 12:15 AM
look att www.compactappliance always vented is better...i want the combo unit so i can put the freezer next to the combo unit..very small freezer from same outfit....get the highest spin rpm too.
i can hardly wait!

Hobo
04-17-2007, 01:34 PM
You also need to keep in mind weights. Front load washers have a large counter balance weight for the spin cycle and can weigh 1/2 again what a top loader weighs.

Another thing we all hate to think about, serviceability. Having been in the service business I found it a lot easer to work on top load models.

There is also something to be said about not having all your eggs in one basket when it comes to combo units. You can't wash and dry at the same time either which can make for a long wash day. When times come to replace one you have the expense of 2. That said most should outlast your unit.

Just some things to keep in mind as I said. You need to balance your need for time, space, and weight as what is good for one is not always good for the other.

Rick

shergry
04-17-2007, 02:00 PM
I have to say that I have yet to purchase a w/d. :( The only thing that is really holding me up is the fact that the storage space is so convenient and large. The LG some are saying on another forum is not allowed in rv's, yet the specs all show that it is do able, I don't get it :cry: So here I sity hating the weekend, DH only time off to spend together and I need to wash :( I don't know what to do............ :? Thanks for the help :)

Wife of Big Doofus
05-15-2007, 03:38 PM
I am still debating on which w/d to get also. Does anyone know in the SB3 if you can put the combo unit on the left side - under the cabinet? All of the connections are on the right side, but that is where there is room for hanging clothes. I am starting to think more about the combo unit just so I can have the closet space.

We are going to have to take our unit back for repairs. The drawers in the bedroom that slide are warped. When one side of the rollers fit correctly, the other side slips out. Also, a few other minor details.

Hope to decide for sure on w/d & have that installed at the same time.

shergry
05-15-2007, 04:01 PM
Our drawers are the same...we looked and found they weren't warped. But that they had been mounted to off center of the latch or stop that is suppose to hold the drawers in place when slide is out. When we can find the time we shall fix on our own,,,going to add support also (we have only 2 sliders holding the whole set of drawers.
We are for sure going to put the combo on the left, can't give up that room on the right....love the idea for extra food, paper prods, drink, etc. As for closet at the front cap...I think we shall ask DT for another hanger, maybe two...DW thinks that she can get just as many clothes on the left (just spread out a little).
Don't you just love the area on the right of the closet that wraps to the right. DW has many quilts, pillows, etc. Also used those space saver bags that you vaccum air out for under the bed.
Also had to repair the drawer under fridge it was not really holding to anything so had to add a few screws.
Have you had your propane tank try to bend on the rack. Called Lippert and they said they would send a new drawer...just have to wait til it breaks all the way... Not so bad, I think I will try to fix it somewhat.
Also, have a support foot that has a slight fluid leak and Lippert has sent the wrong foot, but hey they are willing to work with us to get the right foot and have someone come to the park and fix :D
Ok, enough rambling :o

Wife of Big Doofus
05-15-2007, 04:29 PM
I think that is what I will do - combo unit on the left side. Now all I have to do is decide on which brand. Thanks.

shergry
05-15-2007, 04:42 PM
OMG let me tell you somethin....LG best brand out there won't warranty their unit if it is in an rv. Spendide or Majestic are $$$ and they don't have the best rating. Haier well they are thru HomeDepot here in houston they wanted $777 found it on the internet for $560 XQG50-11 on amazon. But then they have another unit a little bigger for $900 HWD1000 at compact appliance. The biggest difference I found was the rpm on the spin, as you know if it is faster spinning then better drying. :shock: The 1000 has at least 850-1000 rpm (I think). Then there is EdgeStart CW1200 (can't remember $) but has 550-1000 rpm. I think the great thing is that the combo weighs less than 2 side by side :D

shergry
05-15-2007, 04:44 PM
OMG let me tell you somethin....LG best brand out there won't warranty their unit if it is in an rv. Spendide or Majestic are $$$ and they don't have the best rating. Haier well they are thru HomeDepot here in houston they wanted $777 found it on the internet for $560 XQG50-11 on amazon. But then they have another unit a little bigger for $900 HWD1000 at compact appliance. The biggest difference I found was the rpm on the spin, as you know if it is faster spinning then better drying. :shock: The 1000 has at least 850-1000 rpm (I think). Then there is EdgeStart CW1200 (can't remember $) but has 550-1000 rpm. I think the great thing is that the combo weighs less than 2 side by side :D

shergry
05-15-2007, 04:47 PM
Sorry about double post, got a bad message first. :oops:

Suitedreams
06-15-2007, 09:10 PM
We have been following this topic and decided to go with the Whirlpool compacts LHW0050p/LEW0050p (220 dryer). We had 220 added for the dryer when the trailer was being built. We looked at Sears models and discovered the dryer did not have a sensor dry. Both Whirlpool washer/dryer are HE front loader. :lol:

Motor31
06-16-2007, 11:52 AM
Post a picture if you get the chance so folks can see how it looks. :wink:

I'd also be curious since you are using a 220 drier, how does that impact the use of other high draw items like the AC / heatpump, water heater, and fridge. Does the use of the drier preclude using one or 2 AC units at the same time?

berghild
06-17-2007, 01:35 PM
our TK3 is to be delivered the week of June 25th. we are still searching for the combo vented washer dryer. I thought I wanted the LG until Shergry said LG wouldn't warranty it in RV. ANy sugestions? Only Splendide seems to have the vented unit...all others are unvented. I would greatly appreciate some help. cyndy

Motor31
06-19-2007, 07:49 AM
Our stackable washer drier combo has a vented drier.

shergry
06-19-2007, 09:48 AM
I don't remember if I said this already..but LG emailed me and verified that they would not warranty their unit in a rv. As for cost if that is not an issue...AM-TECH makes what looks to be a good combo. As for vented I have googled til googled out, and really only came up with Splendide. I did see a Splendide in a RV parts store...looks alright, I mean the barrel was bigger than years past. My heart is leaning towards the Ariston AWD121NA, warranty is good and the unit sounds pretty reliable, and they are claiming to be the quietest and lowest use of energy in this type of unit. Now just to stay in one place long enough to get one :D .

Motor31
06-20-2007, 08:46 AM
Those little square vents on the side of the trailer with the 3 layer flapper cover is the vent for the drier. I would talk to the folks who sell the driers in uestion and ask them about it being vented. Unless it has a path for air to flow I can't see how it could dry your clothes in a sealed condition.

shergry
06-20-2007, 10:12 AM
I hear you on the little squares that are on the side of the coach to vent, but I have seen the majestic work and gots to tell you it does it some how (from those guys that went to school in engineering) through condensation going out the hose (have seen dryer lint on the ground - carnival unit had one). Been on the compace appliance site, also look into ABT Electronics, select appliance, and even Walmart has a Haier they will get sent to their stores and not charge you for shipping only have to pay sales tax. Target is the same so is Home Depot (?). It for me, comes down to what space do I want and am willing to give up. In the SB3, when you look at all that space in the w/d closet OMG I LOVE IT! DH put a extra clothes rack in the wardrobe area and all clothes fit there, just love the idea that you can have extra drinks, etc. in the w/d area, also thought about another little fridge (beer/wine cooler :D )or freezer next to combo. It really comes down to choice and what I am willing to give up. Vented is better by far, cut into rig :cry: . DH is up for challenge, I am the one that is balking. :shock:

Hobo
06-20-2007, 04:55 PM
The vent less combo units do use the condensation proses to collect the water as the close dry. This is done by circulating the hot moist air thought a chamber cooled by running cold water. The colder the cold water the more efficient it works. Still not as efficient as a vented unit.
If your getting a front load washer to save on water usage this is not the way to go as you will have water running all the way though the dry cycle.
I hope that answers your question and helps you make up your mind.
Rick

DebDav
06-25-2007, 07:52 PM
We now have had our side by side Maytag units working for 6 months.

240 VAC dryer. No problems when in use. Drys very fast - sometimes too hot! No problems with other electric appliances.

The only negative is the loss of hanging space.

Will not be without W/D in any future RV.

berghild
06-26-2007, 11:20 AM
when we were considering the SB3 they told us that we could not fit a stacking unit in the washer space. is that true? we are set now to order the Spendide 1200 or 2100 can't remember the number....I'm going to order through DH webiste on the camping world link and that way he gets 7% back and we have that awesomw camping world installation guarantee. We meet our new TK3 at walnut ridge on this Friday...can hardly wait! Now if we could just sell our Alumascape!

DebDav
06-26-2007, 03:32 PM
A stackable w/d will not fit in the laundry area STACKED. A stackable unit will fit side by side. (if each unit is less than 24"). Mine is a tight fit.

DebDav
06-26-2007, 03:32 PM
A stackable w/d will not fit in the laundry area STACKED. A stackable unit will fit side by side. (if each unit is less than 24"). Mine is a tight fit.

berghild
06-26-2007, 06:28 PM
yeah iwould have wanted them stacked so that one side of that closet would be free to be another clothes closet.