PDA

View Full Version : preventing unused drains from drying

rverdlm
02-18-2007, 09:05 AM
Will RV antifreeze (polyproplene) prevent unused drains from drying out? If it does will it stay on top of the water or do you need to put enough in to totally fill the trap? What happens if some water goes down the drain? Has anyone tried cooking or mineral oil for this purpose?

Jerry
02-18-2007, 04:00 PM
A little cooking oil works well for this purpose. I have used it many times.
Jerry

billr
02-19-2007, 08:35 AM
Dave,

I have always ran the antifreeze through the syst and down all drains, or just poured enough down to fill the traps. Has worked fine this way, no freezing or drying out. I can do the whole trailer winterizing with 2 gal.

Cheers,
Bill

wingnut60
02-19-2007, 10:05 PM
This is a subject I am not familiar with. Are you referring to leaving a drain trap unused long enough for it to dry out? If so, what is the down side to that?

rverdlm
02-20-2007, 07:43 AM
Wingnut, yes. This is really about a building (our CG clubhouse) that has floor drains that are there only in case of a spill. They never get any water down them on purpose. After about 2 weeks the club house starts to smell from sewer gas that enters via the dry trap.

Thom
02-20-2007, 10:30 AM
Years ago I worked at a place that had a zillion floor drains, some were used often others seldom to never. we simply made it a weekly task for one of the maintenance workers. He would pour a gallon down each drain, usually with a mild bleach solution or an enzyme down those that accumulated floor sweepings. anything you put down there will either dry out with time or grow nasty stuff

thom