PDA

View Full Version : TV: AC or DC

scottz
01-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Here's another question: Should I be looking at an AC (using inverter) or DC TV? I want about a 24" model, not sure if they even make that big in DC. Also will need a DVD player, probably will be looking for a combo unit. Seems as if I saw a large DC unit, but very expensive.

We camp most of the time, seldom tie up at places with hookups.

Comments?

Thanks

MDTdriver
04-09-2007, 11:27 PM
I have never seen a 24in. TV for DC but DC's are more costly?
An AC TV 24in plus DVD should be cheaper.
Inverter 250 watts (for TV only) and at least 2 6 volt batteries (last longer than 12volt) and a Gen. to charge the batteries or solar panels (200 watts)
Maby the Gen is all you need. Honda 2000I our works great that is what we use while traveling.

Larry & Kathy

Hobo
04-13-2007, 04:55 PM
I agree with MTDiver
I have not seen a DC TV larger then 13". There My be a 19" out there but the price on a 13"is high so I would hate to think what the bigger ones would cost. I can run my 27" off a 300 watt inverter.

The 2 / 6V deep draw batteries if not 4 is the way to go. Even a second 12V would help a lot and be cheaper as you probably already have 1.

The big question would be how are you going to recharge the batteries? If you need to get a generator to do this then why not just run off the gen to start with. Even though a 300 watt inverter doesn't cost much and could be used after gen curfew.

Solar is the other option buy way past the budget I figure your looking at or you would not have asked about a 12V TV. Anyway a solar system other then the trickle charger plats, would be $700 to $1k for starter kit.

If you have your heart set on a 12V TV I would suggest looking at truck stops for best pricing.
Rick