PDA

View Full Version : do you tow behind MS

wecandiggett
01-08-2007, 07:19 AM
I know this has been asked a thousand times but here goes. What my question is does any one tow a trailer behind ther M/S not if you can but do you.

luv2cruise
01-08-2007, 08:33 AM
We do not tow behind our MS but have friends that do tow a small one wheel utility type trailer that carries two motorbikes and two bicycles. As a matter of fact it is currently for sale including the motorbikes. PM me if you would like more information.

We are currently parked at Dreamcatcher in Deming, NM and they are right next to us. Will be moving to Benson, AZ on Wed.

Just to clarify - we feel that it would be a weight issue for us to tow behind the MS, plus you have the backing up problem. Others will have different opinions.

Gunship Guy
01-08-2007, 11:45 AM
We don't. The deck area behind the cab of the truck is pretty roomy. We normally carry 4 bikes and a ladder back there but can include a storage box and generator as needed. The rear hitch on the MS is still a virgin.

rverdlm
01-08-2007, 02:18 PM
FWIW, the reason I went to an HDT was so that I could tow behind my trailer. First my Avion and now the MS. I formerly had a F350 dually and I would not have considered towing behind the trailer with it. With your F250 you are already at or over the GCWR and with a single rear wheel truck adding a trailer behind would be very unsafe. You could easily get into a bad sway situation.

Motor31
01-09-2007, 09:17 AM
It would be interesting to hear what Lippert says about installing a tow hitch on their frame rails and towing another vehicle of some type.

wecandiggett
01-09-2007, 02:35 PM
I have seen other brands with everything from boats to motorcycles pulled behind them. I would think the tounge weight would be the factor to keep in mind. I have an alum motorcycle trailer with my bike on it the tounge wwight is 200 lb. and the total package is 1500 lb.

I may not have a big enough truck but if the chasse on the fifth wheel can not handle this kind of weight I beleive it is margnal for what it is carring now.

I pull it with 2 bikes on it behind my truck and can keep the tounge at 200 lb. With no sway at all.

I will call the Lippet people just to hear what they say.

Hobo
01-09-2007, 03:06 PM
You may want to post your question on www.RV.Net or other forums that have a broader base to find people that have actually done what your asking.
I don't think any manufacture actually OKs the practice but that in itself doesn't make it wrong or unlawful. You would however also need to check laws for towing state by state.

rotaxman
01-09-2007, 04:47 PM
I know that NuWa sends about 80 percent of their trailers out the door with a factory installed hitch. The local dealer told me that they are rated to pull 5000lbs with a 500 lb tongue weight. I've looked at every Hitchhiker that I have seen and I think he was telling me the truth I haven't seen one that dosen't have a hitch.

As always good camping
Joyce and Jerry

rverdlm
01-09-2007, 07:52 PM
Mike, Lippert put the stubs for the hitch on my trailer. All they said was that they would not put the hitch on for legal reasons. They had no problems from a strenght standpoint. I told them I would be towing about 2 tons.

Carny Bill
01-09-2007, 08:39 PM
Only 2 cents I can add is that in Illinois you can leagally tow a ball behind a 5th wheel, you can not tow 2 ball loads.

Bill

wecandiggett
01-11-2007, 10:53 AM
I called Lippet and they more or less said it could be done would they do it NO. I have a hitch on mine that was installed by the factory that says 300 lb tounge weight. They were surprised.

I understand there are different laws in each state.

I realy wanted to hear from some one that was doing it.

Thanks for all the help.

wecandiggett
01-11-2007, 10:54 AM
I called Lippet and they more or less said it could be done would they do it NO. I have a hitch on mine that was installed by the factory that says 300 lb tounge weight. They were surprised.

I understand there are different laws in each state.

I realy wanted to hear from some one that was doing it.

Thanks for all the help.

layne
01-18-2007, 02:45 PM
We tow a motorcycle trailer (10 foot) behind our elite suites, but are now looking for a dolly to tow our VW when we don't tow the motorcycle. No problems so far.

djo
01-18-2007, 04:17 PM
Yes, we tow a 12' v-nose cargo trailer with our Harley & bikes and stuff in it. That was one of the reasons we chose a Mobile Suite, the frame and construction can handle it and I verified all this with Double Tree before we ordered one built.

The dealer had a hitch house weld on a good sturdy receiver after it was delivered.

The cargo trailer trails very nicely, tracks right behind with no problems. We also had the MS built with the back-up camera installed and had it wired for towing.

We are very pleased.

fiverdriver
01-19-2007, 08:18 PM
Yes, we tow a 12' v-nose cargo trailer with our Harley & bikes and stuff in it. That was one of the reasons we chose a Mobile Suite, the frame and construction can handle it and I verified all this with Double Tree before we ordered one built....This is the first time I have heard anyone say that the factory approved adding a hitch to tow another trailer, especially a 12' trailer.

If you don't mind sharing a little more information, what does "I verified all this with Double Tree " mean? Did you tell someone employeed at Doubletree that you planned on towing a 12' trailer behind their fifth wheel and have that employee tell you that Doubletree approved the installation of a hitch for that purpose and that you would have no warranty problems if you did? Do you remember this persons name?

Just curious since I too am interested in adding a hitch and this is contrary to everything I have heard from the factory.

RustyJC
01-20-2007, 07:42 AM
I'm waiting to hear more on this as well as I have a BMW K1200GT that I would like to take along on some trips.

Rusty

djo
01-20-2007, 11:25 AM
fiverdriver,

I talked to a dealer who could tell I was was skeptical in what a "dealer/saleman" would tell me so he gave me a DT representatives phone number who I talked quite extensivley with about towing and other issues.

The rep said as long as the receiver was "professionally installed by a legitimate installation business" that there was no problem with him. I guess that may make that business liable if there is any problems towing? The rep was very clear about how the MS could handle towing with it's strong frame and construction. I do not remember the reps name.

I know I did not mention an exact size cargo trailer to him just that we wanted to tow a small one. Our 12' v-nose cargo is the same as a typical 10' box type cargo trailer, it weighs around 900#.

We've towed a few thousand miles now with no problems (knock on wood). And my husband backs the MS to the cargo hitch right on with the back-up camera that is aimed staight down to see that.

When we were interested in this idea, and had seen it done, I sent a message out like you did. I did not get any helpful replies, one reply was "why don't you leave your toys at home!" and that set off a chain of replies in that area. I hope this is helpful to you.

wecandiggett
01-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Your information is helpfull I to was told to leave my toys home . If I did that the M/S would stay home to its a toy. As I have mentioned that I see this done all the time not that it is good but you telling me you do it is what I was looking for . Some one with some experience with it. My trailer is alum and weight in at 480 lb with my bike on it weighs 1550 lbs with a tounge weight of 200 lb.

Just to brag I see you have a HD I have a 2006 electraglide clasic which I converted to a trike with lots of crome a gost flames. Quite a ride.

bstark
01-22-2007, 09:39 PM
It gets difficult sometimes to ignore the pundits who offer up idiotic responses such as "try leaving your toys at home". For those of us who are not fulltimers and for most RV'ers over the years, these RV's are our toys!

The ability to travel in comfortable trailers such as these came about through folks wanting the ability to take more of their "stuff" with them otherwise we'd still be using a groundsheet and piece of tarpaulin.

I love watching the folks who are trying different ways to travel with their toys. Necessity may be the mother of invention but desire is obviously the godfather!

sigo'suite
01-22-2007, 11:28 PM
For anyone interested, I can give you the name of a fella here who fabricates and installs hitches and makes carriers of various and sundry sizes and styles which fit into the 2" receiver. And his products will do the job.

He was originally a certified welder throughtout the construction of the Nuclear Plant here several years ago and then went into business for himself when that project was finished.

His hitch will tow what you want, but it will have to be installed at his location here in Granbury, Tx.

Anyone interested, can PM me, or e-mail me and I will give you the info to contact him.

Motor31
01-23-2007, 10:48 AM
Keep in mind that there are places you cannot tow another trailer behind the DT. I believe PA is one of them. Some folks on the escapees site have already found out when they were stopped. I didn't keep track of the thread since I don't tow double. If you are towing a second trailer rather than a 4 down vehicle you might have a hard time getting around with the entire rig.

sigo'suite
01-30-2007, 09:02 PM
This may be of interest to some.

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/towinglaws.htm

JohnandMarla
02-07-2007, 11:20 AM
Although we have been reading this forum for quite sometime, this is our first time commenting. We too are looking at options so we take our Honda Goldwing motorcycle with us when we begin full timing this fall.

From the get-go we wanted to take our motorcycle with us. We researched RVs for 1.5 years before purchasing our MS. One of the many reasons we purchased a MS is because we felt the frame is better than most 5th wheels which would allow us to pull a motorcycle.

We have also been researching our options on how to take our motorcycle with us. We have known from the beginning that many states do not allow triple towing. Our conclusion was to find a way to pull the Motorcycle in the states that we could and the states we can not we will disconnect the motorcycle and one of us will drive the rig set up and the other motorcycle.

Although this is a little inconvenient, the thought of not taking the motorcycle is very disheartening. Our plan is to drive from state to state and to stay for a long period of time in one or two places within that state. We would travel around on our motorcycle from this area. This means that it is only a matter of driving the motorcycle and RV separately short distances at a time to our RV spot.

We have researched our options and have come up with three options. First there is a Blue Ox carrier that has one wheel that tracks well behind the RV. Website is:
http://www.blueox.us/Carriers/SC2.htm

Another option is a motorcycle trailer that folds up when not in use. One could just fold it and put in the back of the truck when not using it. We are still researching this option as we want to be sure it will handle a Goldwing. They say it will. Website is:
http://www.motorcyclecarrier.net/motorcycle_trailer_stinger.html

The third options is using a light weigh trailer that will carry the motorcycle but when the need to disconnect the motorcycle comes into play-the motorcycle could then pull this light weight trailer. We are not keen on this option, but are still investigating it.

Hope this information helps those of you that are looking to take your motorcycle along with you. If any of you have any other suggestions or comments we would be love to hear them!

J and M
2006 36TK3
2006 Chevy 3500 Duramax Dually
Fulltiming Starting Sept 07

Carpe Diem-SEIZE THE DAY!

RRman
02-13-2007, 10:42 AM
I understand the devotion to Doubletree and that Toyhaulers have only recently become prevalent, but wouldn't trading in for a Toyhauler be the "easiest" solution for 1 or 2 motorcycles?
Understand all have their preferences and this changes the discussion a little...

djo
02-13-2007, 01:06 PM
I believe we looked at every toyhauler trying to like one for our full-timing lifestyle and there was nothing out there we liked. We love our MS and even love our little cargo trailer. Someday someone may make a quality toyhauler with full-timing in mind.

RustyJC
02-13-2007, 02:09 PM
The interiors of the toyhaulers I've seen tend to be a little, shall we say, basic as compared to our MS. I guess some of us would like to have our cake and eat it too, if that's possible.

Rusty

JohnandMarla
03-18-2007, 09:28 AM
You are not going to believe this-after posting our previous comment on the options we were looking into to pull our Honda Goldwing, we have decided to not take the motorcycle with us. We spoke to Kent at Doubletree and he told us the MS should pull no more than 125 lbs. tongue weight or the consequences could mean the frame could shift/bend enough that the slides would stop working correctly. We are very disappointed but we are not willing to take the risk of damaging our "HOME". We have decided the best thing would be to rent a motorcycle when we feel the need to ride.

bstark
03-18-2007, 07:24 PM
JohnandMaria:

Whoa there! If Kent specifically said "tongue-weight" and not GVWeight, don't be too quick to discount the cargo trailer idea. I had a Continental Cargo fully enclosed, drop rear door ramp trailer that had a single axle "torq-flex" suspension system that was also completely aluminum framed that, while somewhat more expensive, gave me enough load carrying ability due to the trailers light weight and no where near 125lbs tongue weight (vertical weight of trailer tongue at hitch) fully loaded with Harley Ultra and riding gear.

I was able to use a crank down jack with a larger wheel on the "A" frame and move that trailer by hand on a level surface fully loaded when needed. We double towed a 36' Cedar Creek with an 02 duramax crew cab long box for a total length of 72' and had relatively little problem with D/W performing driving duties as well. The legality and safety were quite another thing however and we opted for another method when retirement loomed.

rverdlm
03-19-2007, 07:30 AM
I think Kent was speaking about the little hitch they put on the back that is basically for carrying bicycles. If weight of 126 lbs would bend the frame then I guess my wife and I should stop doing our exercises in the living room.

Motor31
03-19-2007, 07:59 AM
The bicycle hitch mount that was factory "installed" on our trailer was supposedly rated for a max of 350 Lbs IIRC. I doubt the welds would have held but the hitch was rated for it.

Burgener_chris
03-19-2007, 10:16 AM
This may be an option

http://www.ourlocalguide.com/motorcyclecarrier/ultimate_motorcycle_carrier.htm

JohnandMarla
03-20-2007, 07:35 AM
Our discussion with Kent was specifically regarding tongue weight. We made sure he knew we were not talking about bicycles. Bottomline, Kent reiterated that the 5th wheel was not built to pull a motorcycle such as ours. As we see by this forum it can and is being done by many, there is no doubt that it can pull it but the question remains-will it cause problems in the future. Everyone must decide for themselves if they are willing to chance that with their RV. We have decided that we are not willing to take the risk. Going forward as we hear from other folks pulling motorcycles and the way they do it, we may change our mind. Thanks everyone for your input!