PDA

View Full Version : Autoformer--again

clev
01-12-2022, 01:33 PM
I was checking into this last year, but due to health reasons, had to put it on hold. I did a search but cannot find the posts nor the pictures that were posted. Can someone provide a link? I want to follow through, this time, before spring. I'm interested in hardwiring between the junction box and the cable reel; if that's possible.

Cummins12V98
01-12-2022, 04:26 PM
Hope this helps. Two male and one female Camco 50A cord caps. This setup allows for easy removal of the AutoFormer.

https://i.imgur.com/NZaN3Bwl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/HVnoRfQl.jpg

clev
01-12-2022, 04:53 PM
Thank you, cummins. It’s a little difficult to determine, but is yours hardwired? Where is the yellow plug inserted?

Cummins12V98
01-12-2022, 05:02 PM
First pic is the main feed into the coach, it has an added male end that plugs into the back of the AutoFormer.

The first pic's cord was in a metal junction box and from there a cord went to the power reel. Basically the AutoFormer is now where the junction box was.

clev
01-12-2022, 08:17 PM
Thank you, cummins.

clev
01-12-2022, 09:16 PM
Does anyone have a picture or diagram of the inside of junction box that is wired to the shore power reel?

Cummins12V98
01-13-2022, 10:58 AM
Does anyone have a picture or diagram of the inside of junction box that is wired to the shore power reel?

Pic #1 shows how the four wires are located.

clev
01-13-2022, 01:54 PM
Looking at the junction box, I thought that the 4 RV wires came in one side, connected to a circuit, breaker, board....something, and the cable reel side would connect to the other side. Imagine my surprise when I removed the cover and saw a very pi$$ poor connection using wire nuts and plastic tape. In my opinion, this was a very amateur job from a professional company. The connection to the reel was as I anticipated, and as cummins posted. I am attaching 4 pictures: 1) the box with cover 2) the box with cover off 3) the open box with poor taping and wire nuts 5) Connection to the reel.

clev
01-13-2022, 02:04 PM
I ordered the 220-50-SP Hughes Autoformer from Tweety's RV in Bulverde and will drive the 50 miles through the Hill Country, tomorrow, to get it; that'll be a nice drive. I don't get out much. $466 plus tax was the cheapest that I found anywhere. I also ordered the yellow Camco Male and Female 50 amp plugs from Amazon (~$8 each), like cummins' first picture, install the male on the RV circuit side, the Female on the reel side, and totally remove the current box. Plug the male into the side of the Autoformer and the male pigtail from the Autoformer into the Female attached to the Reel. Easy peasy. Even a monkey could do it. Right pc?

Cummins12V98
01-14-2022, 10:54 AM
I jammed my AutoFormer tight to the back and left sides. I used 1/2" angle screwed to the floor and tight to the bottom sides of the AutoFormer to keep it from moving around.

The big wire nuts and tape are fine but quality tape is the key for it doing what it's supposed to do, keep the wire nuts tight.

clev
01-14-2022, 12:01 PM
Darn, this thing is huge, and weighs about 25 pounds. I’m not sure that it will fit in the compartment.

Cummins12V98
01-14-2022, 12:18 PM
Should be fine. Had mine in a 07.5 DRV and now the 16.

ARCliz
01-16-2022, 07:50 AM
Fits and works GREAT . the new one ( like your picture )has a REPLACEABLE surge protector board inside.So now you are double protected.

clev
01-16-2022, 08:38 AM
Thank you Arc. Do have this particular one installed in the compartment with the reel? And there was no problem with fitment? We’ll get ours installed tomorrow, but it really didn’t appear to fit. We’ve.been trying to come up with Plan B

Cummins12V98
01-16-2022, 10:48 AM
Thank you Arc. Do have this particular one installed in the compartment with the reel? And there was no problem with fitment? We’ll get ours installed tomorrow, but it really didn’t appear to fit. We’ve.been trying to come up with Plan B

We are friends, we both did the same thing and for sure it fits. I have seen his in person.

Forget the plan "B".

clev
01-16-2022, 10:57 AM
Thanks, cummins. The one in your picture appeared to be a little smaller than the one I purchased, and it appeared snug. But, your post is a relief, thank you.

clev
01-19-2022, 08:26 PM
Well, I had to bring on Plan B; the box was unmanageable in the small space. We had to unbolt the cable reel and move it to the side. Got everything assembled and connected, but will have to re-install the cable reel on another day.

clev
01-19-2022, 09:28 PM
Picture correction.

Cummins12V98
01-20-2022, 10:19 AM
Looks like yours in installed 180 from mine. I can see why as my condition lights are on the cord end. Not being there is reality but don't see why the reel had to be separated?

clev
01-20-2022, 11:25 AM
Good morning, cummins. This box, from the plug in side to the curve in the power cord on the opposite side, is about 14 inches; and about 13 inches tall. There is only 12 inches of space from the left wall to the side of the reel. We could squeeze it in on the left wall, facing the reel, but with the plug inserted on the side, the door would not close. We worked on it for an hour before deciding to move the reel. I think we will have to re-drill the reel mounting screw holes, to move it 1-2 inches to the right, when we reinstall it. I use the word ‘we’, but my wife does all the work; I supervise.

ARCliz
01-30-2022, 09:39 AM
sorry I didn't follow up on your post . You needed to use different cord caps -- with OUT handles and then it would fit tighter to corner. And yes the best move was to move the reel to the right as you found out !

Cummins12V98
01-30-2022, 10:34 PM
sorry I didn't follow up on your post . You needed to use different cord caps -- with OUT handles and then it would fit tighter to corner. And yes the best move was to move the reel to the right as you found out !

I think I remember cutting off the handle on the cord cap that plugged in to the back of my AF.

clev
01-30-2022, 11:02 PM
We worked over an hour getting this all back together today. The cable reel mounted without issue, but the cables for the autoformer were a real bear

Cummins12V98
02-23-2022, 04:04 PM
Posting pics for my Master/Journeyman Electrician buddy ARCliz. Such nice work!!!

https://i.imgur.com/hTefGDRl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/fy4kvyNl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/yjpO0Jql.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/waX704Al.jpg

clev
02-23-2022, 05:04 PM
Thank you for those pictures; really neat job. But, I did notice some differences in the compartment. There is a white panel with a switch on the left, mine does not have that. The AF is sitting on a 2x?, which is 1 1/2 inches thick; there is not that much space over top of mine. The incoming wires from the tlr to the AF appear to be smaller gauge than mine; but appearances can be deceiving. Finally he did have to relocate the cable reel. It would really have helped if Arc had revealed that little tidbit in the beginning; LOL. Anyway mine is snug fitting and does not need the retaining strap.

ARCliz
02-24-2022, 07:50 AM
Good eye! Yes AF is on 2x4 for room to run cable from reel under and behind AF and I did move reel to right for more room ! Cable in 5thW is same size ,just laid flat for better workability . AF can be removed /unpluged with space that is available. Any and all mods should be a bonus for the end user!! Despite some comments ,keep making improvements for your needs!! Also , the white switch is for rear stabilizer jacks that I added to take out the bounce !! Sorry I didn't post earlier , pics and comments

clev
02-24-2022, 08:17 AM
Thank you, Arc; you do good work. I am a 3 time cancer survivor and am currently crippled with Muscular Dystrophy (Inclusion Body Myositis), so with my instructions, my wife does all maintenance and installs.

porthole
02-25-2022, 10:58 AM
He seems to have a lot more room in that cubby then I have.

Posting pics for my Master/Journeyman Electrician buddy ARCliz. Such nice work!!!

https://i.imgur.com/hTefGDRl.jpg