PDA

View Full Version : Drv

Sundancekid
12-28-2021, 10:46 AM
We have a new 39DBRS and are parking it for the winter.
We have removed the batteries and put inside on a battery maintainer.
The question is if I plug the coach into our truck will the hydraulic jacks
operate or do the batteries need to be in place?

Notanlines
12-28-2021, 05:43 PM
Your batteries should be in place. Yes, some will day that you can risk it. No, I won't risk it and it shouldn't be done.

Sundancekid
12-28-2021, 05:52 PM
Okay thanks for the information.

porthole
12-31-2021, 12:35 AM
I wouldn’t. Depending on your converter, the typical standard converter is barely adequate to run the jacks.

40-60 amp draw with an 80 amp rated converter is not good. It would be probably work but is much better to have the storage capacity of the batteries.

Think of it like using a commercial battery charger to start your truck without batteries. It may work but will probably overload the charger.

If you can plug the RV in why not leave the batteries in?

anijet
12-31-2021, 09:24 AM
I wouldn’t. Depending on your converter, the typical standard converter is barely adequate to run the jacks.

40-60 amp draw with an 80 amp rated converter is not good. It would be probably work but is much better to have the storage capacity of the batteries.

Think of it like using a commercial battery charger to start your truck without batteries. It may work but will probably overload the charger.

If you can plug the RV in why not leave the batteries in?

He's talking about plugging into the truck not shore power.

porthole
12-31-2021, 01:08 PM
He's talking about plugging into the truck not shore power.

Have to stop using the phone to read this forum.........

Sundancekid
12-31-2021, 01:09 PM
We have the Coach stored at a RV storage and they don't have plug in's
so we have removed all 4 batteries and have them on battery a maintainer.
Boy they are heavy!
Thanks guys it's a learning experience!!

Notanlines
01-01-2022, 06:03 AM
If you happen to have a fully charged 12 volt battery around (Maybe from your boat?) you can temporarily hook that up and use it just to get done what you need.

porthole
01-01-2022, 08:20 AM
We have the Coach stored at a RV storage and they don't have plug in's
so we have removed all 4 batteries and have them on battery a maintainer.
Boy they are heavy!
Thanks guys it's a learning experience!!

If it’s a Ford you do not have the DC current capability at the 7 way. You’d have to use jumper cables off the truck battery.

How about a jump pack?
RV dealers use a jump pack around the yards since stock units typically do not have batteries installed.

Notanlines
01-02-2022, 06:54 AM
Below is a diagram of your plug at the rear. Yes, there is power when the truck is running, and no, you don't have enough amps through this to operate your lift system.

Sundancekid
01-02-2022, 12:32 PM
Thanks to all of you!!
Looks like my best option is to just reinstall the batteries when i need to use the jacks.

Cummins12V98
01-03-2022, 01:58 PM
Thanks to all of you!!
Looks like my best option is to just reinstall the batteries when i need to use the jacks.

I concur!!!

Larry drv 7*3
01-03-2022, 07:10 PM
So my question, in michigan, with power available for plugging in. Is it acceptable to leave all batteries connected? I could pull batteries and place on maintainer, but would likely be in unheated and uninsulated garage.

Notanlines
01-04-2022, 06:24 AM
Larry, your batteries will not freeze as long as they are charged. As long as you have power available, keep the RV plugged in and check the water levels about every month or six weeks.

Larry drv 7*3
01-04-2022, 09:55 AM
Thanks, sealed batteries so no need for water level check, i remember those days. Having a DRV i expect a higher level charger / inverter, i've heard people say rv charger xan overcook your batteries, i leave some l.e.d. lights on for power draw to exercise charger / battery

Cummins12V98
01-05-2022, 10:22 AM
One option is leave batteries and disconnect the negative cables.

Larry drv 7*3
01-05-2022, 12:58 PM
We had 2 motorhomes and they had a switch for battery disconnect, my drv is in dealer getting new a/c......longggg story, does the battery disconnect switch in compartment street side front with leveling jacks, disconnect batteries, guess i will put a meter on things when i get it back, thanks again

porthole
01-05-2022, 05:11 PM
We had 2 motorhomes and they had a switch for battery disconnect, my drv is in dealer getting new a/c......longggg story, does the battery disconnect switch in compartment street side front with leveling jacks, disconnect batteries, guess i will put a meter on things when i get it back, thanks again

Are you referring to the small door on the street side sidewall on the older models?

2019 DRV moved the LevelUp and battery disconnect to the compartment in the front above the batteries.
That switch just disconnects some of the accessory stuff.

Larry drv 7*3
01-05-2022, 07:19 PM
Yes, my 2009 has battery disconnect button pull in / out in small door street side front with leveling toggles. I think i prefer on side and not in door behind tow vehicle between the 2.
As a old trucker, in between tow vehicle and trailer is not a place to spend much time under any curcumstance.