PDA

View Full Version : Lipert jack noise

Amcrebel
04-07-2021, 06:02 PM
Just want to say I just added a quart of the Cat hydraulic oil additive and it completely cured all popping and snapping noises. Follow lipert instructions.

wingnut60
04-07-2021, 06:51 PM
Common problem, common solution. Not sure why it isn't put in at the factory, or change to an ATF that has a better formulation.

terry and jo
04-07-2021, 08:16 PM
I knew of the Cat oil, but I've forgotten the exact name for it. Can anyone help me by providing that name, please?

Terry

Cummins12V98
04-08-2021, 09:45 AM
Been running AMZ/OIL ATF since new with no issues.

porthole
04-08-2021, 09:53 AM
When I had the trailer at Lippert for pump noise and jack issues they replaced the pump. I asked about the anti stiction additives and they told me at Lippert it is pre-mixed in the fluid they use.

So, new pump, two new jacks, two jacks moved, new fluid. Still makes noise on occasion.

Amcrebel
04-08-2021, 10:30 AM
Couldn't get the bulletin to post, here's a picture of the bottle. Hmm, maybe it did??

Roam America
04-08-2021, 06:04 PM
Our first trip in our rig I noticed the hydraulic slide acting sluggish. I checked the oil level with jacks up and slides in. The reservoir was not quite 1/2 full. I picked up a small hand pump and a couple of quarts of full synthetic ATF. I removed the remaining fluid and filled with the synthetic ATF. Never had any popping like I did in my last rig.

If y’all don’t want to go that route you can get Anti Stiction additive on Amazon.

Notanlines
04-09-2021, 06:53 AM
It's referred to as Caterpillar anti stiction fluid. Many brands out there, one probably as good as the next.

Cummins12V98
04-09-2021, 10:03 AM
To be clear it takes much more than a "couple" quarts to fill the reservoir.

Roam America
04-09-2021, 10:13 AM
Where I’m from “couple” means more than “1”. I don’t remember how many I bought, but it was more than 1 or 2.

Cummins12V98
04-09-2021, 02:11 PM
Where I’m from “couple” means more than “1”. I don’t remember how many I bought, but it was more than 1 or 2.

Understood!

Sucking mine dry with slides in jacks up if I remember correctly it took 5-6 quarts.

FuShiLuMeitan
04-12-2021, 03:21 PM
CAT fluid. Never had a problem since, even fully extended in the cold.

LarryFlew
04-12-2021, 05:35 PM
Lippert has replaced most of our system and they have now given up without curing the problem and 4 years of trying to do so. Paid over $4000 to have system installed in 2 year old trailer.

FuShiLuMeitan
04-12-2021, 05:38 PM
Yeah. Manufacturers in general are jerks. I just ignore them and the time they want to waste with our equipment. Easier just to fix things.

LarryFlew
04-12-2021, 06:08 PM
I do give them a A for effort as they sent Lippert service reps to AZ twice and MN twice but turned to an F when they gave up. Popping etc made trailer jerk as pressure was lost. When we where gone during Covid AZ park it was in called and said trailer was about to tip over. We had to send local repair guy to re-level for $100.

FuShiLuMeitan
04-12-2021, 06:10 PM
Have you tried CAT fluid, it really resolved all out popping issues.

LarryFlew
04-12-2021, 07:17 PM
Fluid replaced 4 times with various blends by Lippert.

FuShiLuMeitan
04-12-2021, 07:46 PM
Yeah. Well, I seem to remember quite a few threads about similar issues that led me to try CAT. Seems it had a pretty good success rate. You just need to swap out a small amount of Lippert juice for CAT. Anyway, wish you some success.

Amcrebel
04-12-2021, 09:36 PM
I'm a former rv service manager and Marina owner. Most of these companies know less than we do. It would take hours to list the repairs I've made on our 2019 DRV. The previous owner gave up and traded after a year. As for CAT fluid it stopped all but one jack from popping, and now it's only occasional, they all were and continuously at times. We're currently in a park and haven't cycled it many times since I added it. We have 4 slides and are over 42' so there's a lot of lines and fluid. I Was barely able to get a quart in without removing any. I read multiple replies that it took more than one so I bought two, will add the other when we get home.
As for your issue.Your issue with the jacks collapsing, if the CAT fluid doesn't cure it replacing the electric solenoid for the corresponding jack(s) will, I'll bet on it. Been there done it with our previous Big Country. Make sure you're not loosing any fluid, mark the tank with a line with everything retracted and in, a leak will cause it also, could even be in the belly of the coach, I had more than ten loose fittings.

LarryFlew
04-12-2021, 09:50 PM
CAT didn't, motorcycle fork oil didn't, ATF didn't and 2 other unknown Lippert concoctions didn't, Solenoid didn't, replacing 6 jacks didn't, replacing fronts a second time didn't. Been to authorized dealer twice (one for over a month in summer) and had 4 differnt Lippert factory techs out 4 times as well as 2 RV repair people we paid to look at it. Most frustrating thing I have EVER dealt with and going on since install in 2014. no leaks as fluid level is always constent.

Amcrebel
04-13-2021, 07:55 AM
They need to back up and start over. The solenoids stop the return flow and a leak is uncontrolled flow, has to be one of the two. A jack would only effect that one jack. Remember slides are on the same system. When I was having solenoid issues putting in my slides would lower my right side rear two jacks on the DRV and lowered the front jacks on the Big Country. Lines under the coach need to be checked. I know it sucks, been there. We've owned 15-20 rv's, lance truck campers to Itasca diesel pushers, new and used, none have been back to the dealership.

Amcrebel
04-13-2021, 08:37 AM
Just say if you want me to step out. Too many times technicians are just parts replacers, often times replacing the defective part and creating a new problem. Key here may be the fact it wasn't factory installed. Also what may be an unstable fluid concoction or air trapped in the system. I also know that the main valve body has multiple pressure and return ports that operate differently. Another possibility is defective lines if they we're factory made, I own heavy equipment and have actually had lines internally come apart. If the problem occurs all the time the first thing I would do is manually level it, I don't like self leveling, and leave it. If it still is a problem do it again and unplug all electrical connections at all solenoids. Everything is One step at a time. I installed manual ball valves in our Big Country allowing me to control each slide and jack individually, that taught me a lot about the system and how you can screw things up.

LarryFlew
04-13-2021, 11:58 AM
Each jack also has returns which is what they tested and found leaks in bypass. Main solenoid was also replaced. Installed on existing 5th wheel so slides are on independent system completely although it is hydraulic and Lippert. System bled and concoctions replaced several times with zero difference. Other than being VERY POed about them giving up I can see why they did.

Amcrebel
04-13-2021, 12:35 PM
What exactly is it doing wrong?

LarryFlew
04-13-2021, 12:46 PM
Popping etc all of the time. At worst was about 10 times per hour and this made trailer jerk as pressure was lost. Original thought was temperature change as we where in AZ but it did the same once back to MN.

Amcrebel
04-13-2021, 02:53 PM
Are you mechanically inclined? Not being a wise guy,just wondering what you're willing to try on your own.

LarryFlew
04-13-2021, 04:28 PM
Yes and basically nothing more to try. Have spend MANY hours myself and watched Lippert spend many more.

Amcrebel
05-19-2021, 06:05 PM
I still had one pesky Jack making a snapping noise occasionally. So I removed a quart of fluid and saved it in case I need to add some and added another quart of the cat fluid. That completely resolved all noises. With four slide outs that a hydraulic and the levelers I would say 2 quarts are definitely needed.

Roam America
05-25-2021, 09:34 PM
Understood!

Sucking mine dry with slides in jacks up if I remember correctly it took 5-6 quarts.

Hey, no big deal. 👍🏻

FuShiLuMeitan
05-26-2021, 05:49 AM
What is painfully obvious in this thread and thousands of others - don’t go to the stealers!!!!

I appreciate the OP’s dilemma as the last time we went to a dealer, 4 mnths later a call to pick up our RV got us excited for the road. Nothing had been done. Uugghhh. Never again.

Hydraulics are not complicated. Any good shops in your area for big equipment? Like a CAT dealer, Hyundai, whomever or a Princess Auto? They would have someone who actually knows the tech to fix it or walk you through the steps in a way your comfortable with. Maybe. ;)

Really hope you can get it sorted and get back to enjoying life.