PDA

View Full Version : compartment locks

CAMPDOG
05-11-2005, 12:17 PM
Anybody know where I can get 7 locks keyed alike for my storage compartments? (not keyed like everyone else's)

puller
05-11-2005, 12:37 PM
Hi

You should be able to go to any good locksmith and he/she can rekey your locks to accomplish what you want.

Puller :D

Cougaram
05-11-2005, 03:41 PM
Some have gone to a round cylinder lock also,but I have only had the lock smith change my 751 to another key.cost me $14.31[Can] for 5.

Roofus
05-12-2005, 06:55 AM
I agree with puller. Changing them out is quite simple. TIP; When you install them, orient the key slot common, I.E. Locked is horizontal or vice versa on all and you can easily check locked or unlocked during a walk around.

rverdlm
05-12-2005, 07:03 AM
I hate to be a wet blanket, but why bother. If someone wants to steal your stuff they will just pry your door open if it's locked. Now you've not only lost your stuff, but you'll have major work to repair your coach! :!:

cwsoules
05-13-2005, 10:54 PM
I oriented my key slots so that when they allign toward the opening the lock is locked. It makes a last minute walk about check easy to ensure the compartments are locked. it is true that some one with tools can force the door open, but at least you require the thief to carry tools.

DennisM71
05-21-2005, 03:27 PM
Camping World sells full replacement lock sets keyed the same.

We all know that almost all of our exterior compartments use the CH751 key, but I also noticed that the lockable cabinet in the sleeper cab of my Vovlo uses CH751 as well!!!

fulltimer5er
05-24-2005, 07:56 AM
We have a regular key shop and the lady said bring her the lock and she can order as many as I need all keyed alike something else that really ticks me off about rv builders why do they put one lock and a thumb latch on doors if its locked any fool can open the other end and just brake open the door I'm going to over kill mine I have two doors that have two thumb latches and one lock now theres going to have three locks

Motor31
06-01-2005, 09:07 PM
I oriented my key slots so that when they allign toward the opening the lock is locked. It makes a last minute walk about check easy to ensure the compartments are locked. it is true that some one with tools can force the door open, but at least you require the thief to carry tools.

It can make the difference on your insurance claim if you can show you locked the compartment. A secondary consideration is that thieves are usually a lazy person, why make it easy for them to take your stuff. Let them go onto the next rig with no locks being used.

jayc
06-12-2005, 09:43 AM
I must agree with rverdlm. I've been rv'ing for a long time and have never lost anything to a thief. In fact, if we're camping with friends in a group, I don't lock the front door to the trailer. I hope that if the trailer ever caught on fire or something else bad happened, someone would go in anf rescue my two dogs. They are much more valuable than anything else in the trailer.
[/u]

Dusty
08-28-2005, 01:19 PM
I must agree with rverdlm. I've been rv'ing for a long time and have never lost anything to a thief. In fact, if we're camping with friends in a group, I don't lock the front door to the trailer. I hope that if the trailer ever caught on fire or something else bad happened, someone would go in anf rescue my two dogs. They are much more valuable than anything else in the trailer.
[/u]

Amen to the two dogs. On rare occasions we leave our two border collies in the trailer while we go to a resturant where we cant take them, and I worry the entire time I am gone that something like a fire might happen. The trailer and contents are insured, but my babies cant be replaced.

Dusty

jayc
08-28-2005, 02:57 PM
Something else to consider, having all of your locks use the CH751 key might actually save you some money. If you lost or misplaced your trailer door keys, have a neighbor unlock your storage compartment, water inlet, electric connection, etc that uses the 751 lock where you have secretly hidden an extra door key. Ta-Da!! you can get back inside your trailer instead of calling the locksmith!

Just a thought.....

overweight
10-03-2005, 09:49 AM
I replaced all of my locks with better ones from Camping World. However, I had planned on replacing those with even better ones from West Marine.
I replace everything I can with marine quality stuff.
Since I have decided to upgrade my trailer next year, I won't put anymore money into this one. But it is worth doing.

Jack in Alaska
11-05-2005, 11:36 PM
Has anyone tried to retrofit their compartment door locks to the kind that are on the diesel pushers.?? The rectangular ones with the large latches.
It looks to me that with a rotozip tool you could cut out the door to accept the lock housings and then reinforce the striker area. It would make them much more secure.

rverdlm
11-06-2005, 07:37 AM
I havn't been on this section for awhile and I just read the post about dogs in the trailer. While we had our dog we never locked our trailer. We also while at a camper show bought a sign that said "DOG INSIDE, in case of emergency please rescue" We put that on the door with velcro everytime we left the dog inside. We also bought a sign that said "DO NOT DISTURB" for those tlmes we were "busy".