PDA

View Full Version : Reese Pin Box

hper7750
01-10-2021, 03:08 PM
Does anyone have experience using a Reese 5th wheel Pin Box on a 2020 or 2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD short bed? If so, would like to know how the clearance to back of cab is for tight turns ( how close the 5th wheel gets to back of cab at close to 90 degrees). Also clearance of trailer to truck side rails.

terry and jo
01-10-2021, 08:27 PM
What little experience I have with towing a fifth wheel with a short bed pickup is reading of them on forums and seeing one owner take out his rear pickup window when trying to get into a campsite. Tight turns will do it unless one has a sliding fifth wheel hitch in the back of the pickup.

And, I'm not real crazy about sliding fifth wheel hitches either.

As for clearance, just about all the newer trucks have higher beds than what there used to be. While I can't speak for other manufacturers, DRV Suites has begun to add risers (2-inch ones I think) to their fifth wheels to gain clearance over the bed rails of the pickups.

You might just have to see the model of RV you want sitting level somewhere and measure from the ground to the pin box. Then, get the measurement of the Chevy truck as to bed height. I know that some adjustment is possible with the pin boxes, but I don't know if it is enough.

Terry

hper7750
01-10-2021, 11:44 PM
Thank you for the insight.

fjr vfr
01-11-2021, 09:55 PM
The heavy duty short beds are standard 6'+. The only reason I point that out is some of the 1/2 ton trucks really do have short beds...5' and 5'.5" beds.
Anyway if you have a newer 5th wheel with the rounded corners you should not have a problem. I can back beyond 90 degrees with my short, 6'4" bed no problem. I bought a slider, but have never used it in that position.
The biggest concern for you Terry pointed out. The new trucks are so high it's hard to get level. BTW, my truck is 4x2 and it levels nicely.
Good luck and do a lot of research before hand.

hper7750
01-12-2021, 09:31 AM
Thank you for your reply. I plan to research fully before making my decision.

LUVNFUN
01-18-2021, 05:30 PM
My setup is a 2021 GMC 2500 4X4, 6' 9" standard box, an Access tonneau cover, and a 2021 Jayco 310RLTS. After a lot of research, I went with a B&W Companion hitch and replaced the MORryde kingpin (standard on the Jayco) with a Reese Sidewinder. There is a little better than 6" clearance between the top of the tonneau rails and the bottom of the fifth wheel. I might not have needed the Sidewinder but with all of the things you have to be aware of while pulling and backing a fifth wheel, the additional clearance provided by the Sidewinder is comforting.

Good luck with your research and decision.

terry and jo
01-19-2021, 09:44 AM
Harry,

An update, now especially relevant after LUVNFUN's comment. I just heard about the Reese Sidewinder yesterday. It might be a pin box that would help you out with the short bed truck to where you wouldn't need the slider fifth wheel hitch. Here is a link to a video that "sort of" explains, but more relevantly, shows the advantage of the Sidewinder.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQRrwqQdf3g)
YouTube Video on Reese Sidewinder (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQRrwqQdf3g)

Terry

hper7750
01-19-2021, 10:21 AM
Was considering this but I read in multiple reviews that it utilizes a "wedge" that can come loose and cause a malfunction. Going to do further research. Thanks